These vegan Vegetable Stuffed Peppers are made with a delicious (and nutrient-packed) mixture of hearty black beans, quinoa, spinach, and colorful vegetables. They are also fun to make and the leftovers re-heat great!
These black bean quinoa stuffed peppers with spinach are a comfort food classic but made healthier.
Each pepper half is generously filled with a flavorful, hearty mixture of black beans, fluffy quinoa, and colorful vegetables.
Plus they are fun to make and look so festive!
Ingredients for Stuffed Peppers
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Bell peppers: Be sure to find 4 large bell peppers that have plenty of space for stuffing. Otherwise, opt for 5-6 smaller/medium bell peppers.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted.
- Black beans: Or substitute another bean such as pinto beans or red kidney beans.
- Ground cumin: Or you can try it with your own favorite seasoning. (Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, dried basil, dried oregano, etc.)
You can also add vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast for a cheesy version.
Here are a few suggestions for toppings and garnish before serving:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa (or your own favorite salsa)
- Hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast
This recipe makes a large batch, so store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days.
The leftovers reheat great in the microwave. (We think they taste even better the next day after the flavors combine even further.)
Vegetable Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 large bell peppers* (I use one of each color)
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin (or other seasoning)
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (or nutritional yeast to taste)
- Guacamole/avocado, cilantro, salsa for serving
- Cook quinoa: place 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained) in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies: dice onion, mince garlic, and grate/shred carrots.
- Drain canned tomatoes, adding the tomato liquid to the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Set remaining diced tomatoes aside.
- In an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 tablespoons water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add minced garlic and cumin. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add spinach (roughly chopped) and drained tomatoes. Stir.
- When spinach is wilted, add black beans (rinsed and drained), cooked quinoa, and grated carrot. Stir and heat for 2 minutes. Salt/pepper if desired. (Optional: stir in 2/3 cup vegan cheese shreds to quinoa mixture, or nutritional yeast to taste.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and inner ribs. Fill each pepper half with a heaping amount of quinoa mixture. Pack it down well with a spoon to fill all the crevices*. Place filled peppers in baking dish on top of the tomato liquid.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 75 minutes. (Or if topping with cheese: after 1 hour of baking, uncover foil and sprinkle peppers with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes.)
- Drizzle with pan juices before serving. Serve with guacamole/avocado, salsa, nutritional yeast, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan vegetable stuffed peppers with spinach, also check out: