These Vegan Vegetable Stuffed Peppers are made with a delicious (and nutrient-packed) mixture of hearty black beans, quinoa, spinach, and colorful vegetables. They are also fun to make and the leftovers re-heat great!
These black bean quinoa stuffed peppers with spinach are a comfort food classic but made healthier!
Each pepper half is generously filled with a flavorful, hearty mixture of black beans, fluffy quinoa, and colorful vegetables.
Plus they are fun to make and look so festive.
Ingredients for Stuffed Peppers
For this recipe you will need:
- White quinoa
- Yellow onion
- Bell peppers: Be sure to find 4 large bell peppers that have plenty of space for stuffing. Otherwise, opt for 5-6 smaller/medium bell peppers.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted.
- Black beans
- Ground cumin: Or you can try it with your own favorite seasoning. (Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, dried basil and oregano, etc.)
You can also add vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast as well.
Here are a few suggestions for toppings before serving:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa (or your own favorite salsa)
- Hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Vegan cheese shreds or nutritional yeast
This recipe makes a large batch, but we find the leftovers heat up wonderfully.
We think they taste even better the next day because the flavors have a chance to mingle.
Black Bean + Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Spinach
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 large bell peppers* (I use one of each color)
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (or other seasoning)
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (or nutritional yeast to taste)
- Guacamole/avocado, cilantro, salsa for serving
- Cook quinoa: place 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained) in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water or vegetable broth. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies: dice onion, mince garlic, and grate/shred carrots.
- Drain canned tomatoes, adding the tomato liquid to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set remaining diced tomatoes aside.
- In an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 6-7 minutes. (I use 3 tablespoons water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add minced garlic and cumin. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add spinach (roughly chopped) and drained tomatoes. Stir.
- When spinach is wilted, add black beans (rinsed and drained), cooked quinoa, and grated carrot. Stir and heat for 2 minutes. Salt/pepper if desired. (Optional: stir in 2/3 cup vegan cheese shreds to quinoa mixture, or nutritional yeast to taste.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds, and inner ribs. Fill each pepper half with a heaping amount of quinoa mixture. Pack it down well with a spoon to fill all the crevices*. Place filled peppers in baking dish on top of the tomato liquid.
- Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 75 minutes. (Or if topping with cheese: after 1 hour of baking, uncover foil and sprinkle peppers with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes.)
- Drizzle with pan juices before serving. Serve with guacamole/avocado, salsa, nutritional yeast, etc. if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these black bean quinoa stuffed peppers with spinach, also check out: