This cozy Vegan Split Pea Soup combines creamy sweet potatoes with warm, smoky flavors! It is easy to make and only 7 healthy ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Nutrient-packed split peas combine with creamy sweet potatoes in this delightful soup.
It is a rather humble-looking soup, but don't let that deter you because the taste is so smoky, savory, and delicious.
Plus it is easy to prepare!
It is only 7 simple ingredients but packed with fiber, protein, iron, and other plant-based goodness.
Ingredients for Split Pea Soup
For this recipe you will need just a few simple ingredients:
- Split peas: I use green, but yellow split peas work too.
- Sweet potato
- Smoked paprika
- Vegetable broth
It does make a large batch so be sure to halve if desired.
If you like a spicy kick, add chipotle which provides another tasty layer of smokiness.
This Everyday Split Pea Soup is also a great way to enjoy split peas!
Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups split peas (1 lb. bag)
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 3 cups water)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: tomatoes, spinach, kale, chipotle, hot sauce for topping
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for 5-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veg broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and smoked paprika to the pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and 3 cups water.
- Rinse split peas well and drain. Add to pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste. Serve as is or blend.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan split pea soup, also check out: