This cozy vegan Split Pea Soup recipe combines creamy sweet potatoes with warm, smoky flavors! It's easy to make and only 7 healthy ingredients. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Nutrient-rich split peas combine with creamy sweet potatoes in this delightful soup.
It's rather humble-looking, but don't let that deter you because the taste is so smoky, savory, and delicious.
Plus it's easy to prepare!
It only requires 7 simple ingredients but it's packed with fiber, protein, iron, and other plant-based goodness.
Ingredients for Split Pea Potato Soup
For this recipe you will need just a few simple ingredients:
- Split peas: I use green split peas, but yellow split peas work too. We will need two cups split peas for this recipe, which is about a one pound bag.
- Yellow onion: Or you can use white onion or sweet onion instead.
- Sweet potato: You will need two medium sweet potatoes for this recipe.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or you can substitute with dried garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika: Be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium broth if preferred.
Make it spicy: If you like a spicy kick, add a dash of cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, or chipotles in adobo sauce which provide another tasty layer of smokiness. Or you can simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste before serving.
Other veggies: Add other vegetables as you see fit. Try celery, spinach, kale, tomatoes, bell pepper, etc.
Batch size: This does make a large batch so be sure to cut in half if desired.
Blending: If you prefer to blend, I recommend an immersion blender. (They’re very convenient for soup!) You could also do it in batches in a regular blender, but use caution as hot foods may erupt in blender.
Want more split pea inspiration? This Everyday Split Pea Soup is a great way to enjoy them too!
For more inspiration, also browse all winter recipes or pea recipes.
Smoky Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 cups split peas (1 lb. bag)
- 1 large onion
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 3 cups water)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: tomatoes, spinach, kale, chipotle, hot sauce for topping
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for 5-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and smoked paprika to the pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and 3 cups water.
- Rinse split peas well and drain. Add to pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste. Serve as is or blend.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan split pea soup with sweet potato, also check out:
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
How many servings does this make?
Hi Mary! You can find the servings right above the ingredients in each recipe. (I estimate this one to be 8 medium bowls - it's a large batch, so be sure to halve if desired.)
Very good! Love the way the smoked paprika mellowed out with a low, slow cook time. I ended up letting it simmer until the peas had completely broken down on their own, just as I normally do with pea soup. I used yellow split peas, so this was such a pretty color at the end. I served it with biscuits and jam.
That sounds great! Love that you used yellow split peas. Thanks for the feedback, Alyssa.
This looks awesome and I am very excited to try it! Quick question...do you pre-soak the split peas or just add them in?
Kaitlin | The Garden Grazer
No, I don't soak mine. I just rinse, drain, and toss them in!