This easy Ultimate Vegetable Soup is so nourishing, satisfying, and a great source of plant-based nutrients. Plus it is simple to customize with your own favorite additions! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple vegetable soup is so nourishing and a great source of plant-based nutrients.
I call it "ultimate" vegetable soup because any and all are welcome - the more the merrier!
You can easily customize it based on your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season.
Note: This makes a large batch (we're soup monsters) so be sure to reduce or halve if desired!
This is such a flexible recipe! Here are a few ideas to make it your own:
- Vegetables: The veggies below are simply a guideline. Use your own favorites, or whatever is available or in season. Frozen vegetables work great too! There's no need to thaw them before adding to the pot.
- Herbs: Try this with dried herbs to taste such as dried oregano, parsley, basil, or Italian seasonings. (Or you can even stir in fresh herbs towards the end of cook time for added flavor.)
- Beans: Add white beans, chickpeas, red kidney beans, pinto beans, etc. These are great stirred in for some plant-based protein and fiber. Plus they add some heartiness!
- Quinoa, rice, pasta, or barley: Thicken it up with your favorite grains. Try quinoa, brown rice, pasta, barley, etc. You can cook these separately, then stir them in towards the end of cooking time to prevent them from absorbing too much broth.
- Tomato paste: For a thicker, richer broth, add a couple tablespoons tomato paste.
- Miso: I really enjoy adding 1-2 tablespoons of white miso to soups at the end of cooking time. This adds a rich, salty, umami flavor.
Freezing note: Vegetable soups typically freeze great! Just be sure to let it cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container. It should keep for about 2 months, but use your best judgement.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan soup recipes.
Ultimate Vegetable Soup
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage (I love purple for color)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans (can use frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups peas (can use frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (can use frozen)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (and/or fresh)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Prepare veggies: Mince garlic. Dice onion, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms. Roughly chop cabbage. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 5-7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add garlic (and any dried herbs if using) and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and all veggies (except spinach).
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are desired tenderness.
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes of cooking time. Salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Ultimate Vegetable Soup, also feel free to check out: