Our favorite enchiladas! These easy vegan Black Bean Enchiladas with spinach and sweet corn are smothered in the most amazing Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce.
These Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas have become quite a thing in our household. They’re such an easy, satisfying dinner and have also been enjoyed by guests/company as well.
Before this recipe, it never occurred to me to make my own Mexican-inspired Enchilada Sauce. But I’m so glad I did because it’s pretty simple and can be easily customized to your own taste by adding your favorite seasonings (or cayenne pepper/chipotle for a kick).
Ingredients for Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the enchilada filling, you will need:
- Black beans
- Sweet corn (frozen, cooked fresh, canned, or fire-roasted)
- Fresh baby spinach
- Green onions (scallions)
- Fresh cilantro
- Ground cumin
- Vegan cheese shreds (or substitute nutritional yeast)
There are some really great dairy-free cheeses on the market now, but our current favorites are Miyoko’s and Follow Your Heart. For this recipe, I enjoy Miyoko’s mozzarella and Follow Your Heart’s fiesta blend (which is cheddar & pepper jack).
We also love pairing this meal with Cilantro Lime Rice on the side!
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt/pepper to taste
For the enchiladas:
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (I use canned or frozen & thawed)
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (or nutritional yeast to taste)
- 8 large flour tortillas (or GF tortillas or corn tortillas)
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in broth, and bring to a light boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sauté the spinach in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans (rinsed and drained), 3/4 cup vegan cheese (more/less as desired), wilted spinach, corn, green onions, cilantro, and 2 tsp. cumin.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired) pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
- Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Garnish with additional cilantro and/or green onions before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated – thank you!)