There are so many awesome dairy-free cheeses on the market now, but our current favorite is the “Follow Your Heart” brand. I enjoy their fiesta shredded cheese blend (cheddar + pepperjack), or a combination of the mozzarella + cheddar shreds for this recipe. And of course we love pairing this meal with some simple brown rice or Cilantro Lime Rice on the side!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make these! I love seeing what you guys cook up.
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the sauce
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
For the enchiladas
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese (I like Follow Your Heart brand)
- 8 large flour tortillas (or corn tortillas for gluten-free)
MAKE THE SAUCE
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in broth, and bring to a light boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS
- Saute the spinach in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, 1 cup cheese (more if desired), wilted spinach, corn, green onions, 2 tsp. cumin, and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
- Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top if desired.
- Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions (optional).