Our favorite enchiladas! These Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas have become quite a thing in our house. They’re such an easy, satisfying dinner and are enjoyed by guests and company as well. Before this recipe, it never occurred to me to make my own enchilada sauce but I’m so glad I did. It’s pretty simple and can be easily customized to suit your own taste. (For example, adding your own favorite seasonings, or some cayenne pepper or chipotle if you like a kick.) I highly suggest trying it because it really adds something special to this dish.
There are so many awesome dairy-free cheeses on the market now, but our current favorites are Miyoko’s and Follow Your Heart brands. I enjoy Miyoko’s mozzarella and Follow Your Heart’s fiesta shredded cheese blend (which is cheddar & pepperjack), or a combination of the mozzarella & cheddar shreds for this recipe. And of course we love pairing this meal with simple brown rice or Cilantro Lime Rice on the side!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make these! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a review or star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the sauce:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
For the enchiladas:
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese (or sub nutritional yeast to taste)
- 8 large flour tortillas (or GF tortillas or corn tortillas)
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in broth, and bring to a light boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS:
- Saute the spinach in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, 3/4 cup vegan cheese (more if desired), wilted spinach, corn, green onions, 2 tsp. cumin, and cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
- Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top if desired.
- Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions (optional).