Our favorite enchiladas! These easy vegan black bean enchiladas with spinach and sweet corn are smothered in the most amazing homemade enchilada sauce.
These Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas have become quite a thing in our house. Plus they’re such an easy, satisfying dinner (and are also enjoyed by guests and company as well). Before this recipe, it never occurred to me to make my own enchilada sauce. But I’m so glad I did. It’s pretty simple and can be easily customized to suit your own taste (by adding your own favorite seasonings or also some cayenne pepper or chipotle if you like a kick).
There are so many awesome dairy-free cheeses on the market now, but our current favorites are Miyoko’s and Follow Your Heart. For this recipe, I enjoy Miyoko’s mozzarella and Follow Your Heart’s fiesta shredded cheese blend (cheddar & pepper jack). And of course we love pairing this meal with simple brown rice or Cilantro Lime Rice on the side!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the sauce:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
For the enchiladas:
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese (or sub nutritional yeast to taste)
- 8 large flour tortillas (or GF tortillas or corn tortillas)
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in broth, and bring to a light boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS:
- Saute the spinach in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, 3/4 cup vegan cheese (more if desired), wilted spinach, corn, green onions, cilantro, and 2 tsp. cumin.
- Preheat oven to 375. In a 9×13 inch baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired) pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
- Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top if desired.
- Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with additional cilantro and/or green onions (optional).