Our favorite enchiladas! These easy vegan Black Bean Enchiladas with spinach and sweet corn are smothered in the most amazing Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce. Plus they're quick and easy to prepare!
These Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas are a satisfying dinner and simple to prepare. (We also find they're great for entertaining because they're enjoyed by guests & company as well.)
Before this recipe, it never occurred to me to make my own Mexican-inspired Enchilada Sauce. But I'm so glad I did because it's pretty simple and can be easily customized to your own taste by adding your favorite seasonings.
Ingredients for Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the enchilada filling, you will need:
- Black beans
- Sweet corn (frozen, cooked fresh, canned, or fire-roasted)
- Fresh baby spinach
- Green onions (scallions)
- Fresh cilantro
- Ground cumin
- Vegan cheese shreds (or substitute nutritional yeast)
There are some really great dairy-free cheeses on the market now, but our current favorites are Miyoko's and Follow Your Heart. For this recipe, I enjoy Miyoko's mozzarella and Follow Your Heart's fiesta blend (which is cheddar & pepper jack).
We also love pairing this meal with Cilantro Lime Rice on the side.
Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
For the enchilada sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use GF all-purpose)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Salt/pepper to taste
For the enchiladas:
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn (I use canned or frozen & thawed)
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (or nutritional yeast to taste)
- 8 large flour tortillas (or GF tortillas or corn tortillas)
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in broth, and bring to a light boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sauté the spinach in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans (rinsed and drained), 3/4 cup vegan cheese (more/less as desired), wilted spinach, corn, green onions, cilantro, and 2 tsp. cumin.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish (lightly sprayed if desired) pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
- Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Garnish with additional cilantro and/or green onions before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying these black bean enchiladas, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - thank you!)