Easy, healthy Vegan Chickpea Salad loaded with fresh vegetables and a light lemon basil dressing. Only 25 minutes to make, and great for make-ahead lunches, picnics, potlucks, etc.
This colorful vegan Chickpea Salad is light and fresh, yet wonderfully satisfying. I love the wide array of colors combined with the hearty chickpeas. Plus it's tossed in a deliciously tangy lemon-garlic-basil dressing.
Feel free to change it up with your own favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. You can also add a burst of brightness with fresh herbs. Parsley, basil, cilantro (or a combination) would be lovely.
This salad works beautifully as both a side or main dish. Plus it's a perfect meal to make ahead for picnics, potlucks, meal prep, or take-along lunches.
The flavors actually enhance and taste even better after they've had a chance to chill in the refrigerator and marinate. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
- 30 oz. canned chickpeas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 1 bell pepper (I use yellow)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced (or green onion for milder flavor)
For the lemon basil dressing:
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 2-3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or fresh herbs)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Make dressing: mince garlic. In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. (Use 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar depending on how tangy you prefer.) Set aside.
- Finely dice bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and cucumber. Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain chickpea and place in bowl with veggies. Pour dressing over top, and mix well to combine.
- Can serve immediately, but tastes best after it chills and marinates in the fridge for at least an hour. (Just give it another stir before serving as the dressing will settle.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Vegan Lemon Chickpea Salad? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)