My husband requested more cold lunches to take to work, so the recipe wheels started turning and I recalled a delicious chickpea salad that we ordered from a food hut in the Chicago airport. It was so light and refreshing, and this is my attempt to recreate it (with some additions and tons of veggies). Who ever would have guessed I’d be trying to recreate airport food?!
Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes
For the lemon-basil dressing:
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional - omit for oil-free)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Make dressing: in a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Finely dice bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and cucumber. Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain chickpea and place in bowl with veggies. Add the dressing, and mix well.
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.