EASY 30 minute Asian-inspired Vegetable Lo Mein with secret ingredient - hoisin sauce! We love this versatile, flavorful plant-based meal. Great for busy weeknights!
Have you ever tried cooking with hoisin sauce? This recipe was my first experience and we absolutely loved it. If you're not familiar with hoisin, it's sort of like a thick, Chinese-style BBQ sauce. (YUM.) It brings great flavor and texture to this dish.
I found the hoisin sauce and lo mein noodles in the Asian food aisle of our local grocery store. (If you can't find lo mein noodles, simply substitute spaghetti, linguini, or your own favorite noodle.)
This is a wonderful recipe because it works with such a wide variety of veggies. Have fun experimenting with the versatility! I listed some additional ideas below, so swap in whatever vegetables you enjoy or have on hand.
You could also pair it with our favorite Easy Baked Tofu.
Vegetable Lo Mein
- 8 oz. lo mein noodles (or spaghetti, linguini, rice noodles, etc.)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 5 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (gluten-free if desired*)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (optional - see oil-free version in notes)
- Cilantro, peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, leaving al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and green onion. Julienne/shred carrot. Mince garlic.
- In a wok or large pan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil (if using).
- Once oil is hot, carefully add mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add noodles (cooked and drained), hoisin, and tamari. Gently stir to combine and heat for 1-2 minutes. (Fresh greens like baby spinach are lovely stirred in during the last couple minutes as well.)
- Top with any desired garnishes or more tamari to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Vegetable Lo Mein? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)