This healthy Black Bean Lentil Salad with cumin-lime dressing is so hearty, plus full of protein and fiber. Perfect for make-ahead lunches, snacks, potlucks, picnics, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
We love this hearty Black Bean Lentil Salad tossed with fresh cilantro, veggies, and a light but flavorful cumin-lime dressing.
It’s a simple dish to assemble, plus you can make it ahead of time for lunches, meal prep, picnics, etc. (The flavor is even better after it has a chance to chill in the fridge for a bit.)
Ingredients for Black Bean Lentil Salad
To make this salad, you’ll need:
- Brown/green lentils (or simply a 15 oz. can cooked lentils)
- Black beans
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion (or green onion)
- Grape/cherry tomato (or roma)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Dijon mustard
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
I find this dish to be pleasantly filling and satisfying thanks to the abundant protein and fiber in the black beans and lentils.
The simple cumin-lime dressing is subtle and light, so please feel free to increase or double for a stronger flavor if desired. It makes a great chip dip as well!
Black Bean Lentil Salad with Cumin-Lime Dressing
- 1 cup green/brown lentils* (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced (or 2-3 green onions for milder flavor)
- 6 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes (or 2 roma tomatoes)
- 2/3 cup cilantro (large stems removed)
- Avocado for serving (optional)
For the cumin-lime dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin (or less)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Cook lentils: in a medium saucepan over high heat, boil 4 cups water. Rinse lentils and add to boiling water. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender (not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Finely dice the bell pepper, red onion (or green onions), and tomatoes. Roughly chop the cilantro, large stems removed.
- In a large bowl place black beans (rinsed and drained), bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and cooked lentils. Re-stir dressing, then pour over top and toss to combine. Salt to taste or add more lime juice if desired.
- Serve immediately or let it chill covered in the fridge for at least an hour to let the flavors combine further. Add diced avocado right before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you’re enjoying this salad, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)