Healthy black bean lentil salad with cumin-lime dressing! Perfect for lunches, snacks, potlucks, picnics, etc.! (Vegan, gluten-free)
This is my kind of meal! Hearty black beans and lentils mixed with cilantro, veggies, and a flavorful cumin-lime dressing. As soon as I saw the recipe on Kalyn’s Kitchen, I simply had to try it with my own version. I’ve made numerous recipes from Kalyn’s beautiful site and have never been disappointed! This salad was certainly no exception – it became an instant favorite.
I love that it’s so simple to make, and it’s a perfect lunch to bring along for work. It also works beautifully as a make-ahead dish for picnics, potlucks, gatherings, and BBQ’s. I find it to be pleasantly satisfying and filling thanks to the heartiness and protein in the beans and lentils. Plus the flavorful cumin-lime dressing which sends it over the top. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration Kalyn!
PS – if you dig the black bean & lentil combo, try these delicious Black Bean Lentil Tacos too!
Black Bean Lentil Salad with Cumin-Lime Dressing
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion (and/or green onion)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2/3 cup cilantro (large stems removed)
For the cumin-lime dressing:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cook lentils according to package directions, leaving firm not too mushy. Drain when finished.
- While lentils are cooking, make the dressing: place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Finely dice the bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes. Roughly chop the cilantro.
- In a large bowl, place the black beans (rinsed and drained), bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and cooked lentils. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or chill covered in the fridge for at least an hour to let the flavors combine.