Savory vegan Black Bean & Quinoa Enchiladas with avocado all smothered in a homemade Mexican-inspired stovetop enchilada sauce!
These satisfying, nutrient-packed enchiladas are adapted from our all-time favorite Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas. I wanted to find an alternative option for vegan cheese shreds (even though those work great too!) So of course, creamy avocado came to mind.
Then I also added quinoa for an extra protein & nutrient boost. And of course not wanting to miss out on a little cheesy flavor… I sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top before serving.
The sauce ingredients look fairly long, but half are simply spices you can change to your own liking. (Try ground chipotle for a smoky kick!) It's an easy, delicious sauce you'll want to eat with a spoon… I may or may not speak from experience.
Black Bean Avocado Enchiladas
- 1/2 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 medium avocados
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 4-5 green onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 8 large tortillas (or about 10-12 corn tortillas)
- Nutritional yeast for sprinkling
- Optional: lightly sautéed spinach
For the enchilada sauce:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Rinse and cook quinoa according to package directions, using 1 cup water (or veggie broth).
- Meanwhile, make the enchilada sauce: in a small bowl, add flour and spices. In a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Once warm, add tomato paste and flour/spices. Cook 1 minute, whisking. Whisk in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, dice the avocado, and slice green onions.
- In a large bowl, add black beans (rinsed and drained), corn (thawed if frozen), green onions, cumin, and lightly sauteed spinach if using. Add cooked quinoa, and stir. Add avocado and lightly toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a lightly sprayed 9×13 baking dish, pour a small amount of sauce to coat the bottom.
- Evenly distribute the black bean/quinoa mixture to the center of each tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down in the dish. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas.
- Bake about 25 minutes.
- Optional: garnish with cilantro, green onions, or sprinkle nutritional yeast before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying these black bean avocado enchiladas? Also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)