Flavor explosion salad! Colorful BBQ Chickpea Salad tossed with creamy avocado ranch, then topped with chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Salads and I have a thing going on and this is my latest obsession. I was inspired to make a vegan version of the classic BBQ chicken salad with ranch. With a little testing, I feel like I struck pure salad gold. This is such a flavor-packed, satisfying dish that’s great for busy weeknights, take-along lunches, meal prep, etc!.
It’s got all the components for a flavor explosion that’ll rock your taste buds. Vegan avocado ranch dressing? Check. Colorful chopped salad with sweet corn and tomatoes? Check. Tender chickpeas simmered in BBQ sauce? Ohhhh baby, check! We usually have a little dressing left over but that’s a huge bonus because I love it so much. Use it on other salads or as a veggie dip! Hope you enjoy too.
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
BBQ Chickpea Chopped Salad with Avocado Ranch
For the Salad
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 large head romaine
- 1 cup corn (I thaw frozen corn)
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2-3 green onions
For the avocado ranch
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup almond or soy milk (plain, unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic (I use 2)
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Optional: fresh chives are amazing if you can find them!
- Make the dressing: in a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a saucepan over med-low heat, simmer chickpeas in BBQ sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the romaine, tomatoes, and green onion. Place in a bowl. Add corn and carrots. Toss to combine.
- When ready to assemble, distribute the salad into bowls, toss with desired amount of dressing, and top with BBQ chickpeas.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this BBQ Chickpea Salad with Avocado Ranch? Feel free to also browse the full “Vegan Salad” recipes archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration!