Protein powerhouse vegan enchiladas with an amazing Mexican-inspired homemade sauce! Each enchilada has a whopping 20+ grams of plant-based protein (all from soy-free sources).
Two things make these Protein Monster Enchiladas one of our favorite vegan enchiladas yet.
First is the combination of black beans + garbanzo beans. Chickpeas don't often appear in enchiladas but we really enjoy the unexpected addition. (If you're not a fan of garbanzos, substitute quinoa instead!)
Second is when the natural tomato juices are mixed with nutritional yeast in the pan, it makes a delicious sauce that really brings the filling together.
I love that each enchilada is about 20 grams of protein, all from non-soy sources. (Or even more protein if using sprouted grain tortillas.)
The ingredient list is much longer than most of my recipes, but I promise it's not as complicated as it looks!
I simply couldn't resist including the recipe for our favorite Mexican-inspired homemade enchilada sauce so you can really take these vegan enchiladas to the next level.
Protein Monster Vegan Enchiladas
For the enchiladas:
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 6 large tortillas
For the enchilada sauce:
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (GF if desired*)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder (more to taste)
- Optional: cayenne pepper, ground chipotle, smoked paprika, etc.
MAKE THE ENCHILADA SAUCE
- In a small bowl, add flour and the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When hot, carefully add tomato paste, and the small bowl of flour and four spices.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking continuously. Then add broth and whisk well. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook 8 minutes, whisking occasionally. Salt to taste and set aside.
MAKE THE ENCHILADAS
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice tomatoes. Rinse and drain beans.
- When onions are translucent, reduce heat. Add cumin, paprika, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, and both beans (rinsed and drained). Stir well. Heat for 4-5 minutes then set aside.
- In a lightly sprayed 9×13 baking dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.
- Distribute bean mixture in the center of tortillas. Roll up, tucking in both ends.
- Place all 6 rolled enchiladas in baking dish and top with remaining sauce.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with avocado, cilantro, hemp hearts, nutritional yeast, etc.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying these vegan enchiladas? Also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)