It’s a fun recipe to customize based on your own tastes or what you have on hand. Swap out the black beans for pinto beans, add a can of diced tomatoes for a juicier filling (we love this!), swap out the quinoa for rice, or add some spice with smoky chipotle, etc. They’re great served as is, or with any desired toppings (guacamole/avocado is my favorite). Hope you enjoy them too – let the pepper party commence!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a photo if you make this! I love seeing what you guys cook up.
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers
- 3/4 cup quinoa (dry, uncooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup corn (I use frozen, thawed)
- 2 green onions
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
Toppings of choice
- Guacamole, salsa, dairy-free sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions with 1 1/2 cups water/broth. (I often use vegetable broth in place of water for more flavor.)
- Meanwhile, halve bell peppers and remove stems, seeds and ribs.
- Rinse and drain black beans, thaw corn, and slice green onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked quinoa and all other ingredients except bell peppers. Stir to combine, and adjust taste if necessary (salt, more seasonings, nutritional yeast).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a 9×13″ baking dish, place pepper halves, and generously stuff them with the quinoa filling. Lightly press down to compact and fill all the crevices.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 10 minutes more.
- Serve with any desired toppings.