Wild Rice Vegetable Soup! Wild rice is a wonderful addition to soup with it’s hearty texture and earthy, nutty taste – plus a nice boost of protein and fiber! (Vegan, gluten-free)
Wild rice often makes an appearance in heavy, creamy soups, but it makes a fantastic addition to lightened up vegetable soups as well. The hearty texture and earthy, nutty taste is a wonderful way to change up your soup game. The wild rice makes it so comforting and pleasantly filling, thanks to a nice boost of protein and fiber. (Just one cup of uncooked wild rice has 24 grams of protein!) It does take a little longer to cook, about 50 minutes, so if you’re short on time feel free to cook the rice beforehand and just add it in and lessen the overall cooking time. (I’ve done this many times with any leftover wild rice.) As always, soup is one of the most versatile recipes so change it up with your own favorite herbs and veggies: zucchini, bell pepper, cabbage, peas, corn, potatoes, etc.!
Wild Rice Vegetable Soup
Wild rice is a wonderful addition to soup with it's hearty texture and earthy, nutty taste - plus a nice boost of protein & fiber!
- 3/4 cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 carrots
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 2 cups cut green beans (I use frozen)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (+2 cups water)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Salt to taste
- Optional: spinach
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice carrot, slice mushrooms, and mince garlic.
- Add garlic, carrots, mushroom, and dried basil. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth, 2 cups water, diced tomatoes (with juice), and green beans.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Rinse wild rice and add it to the stockpot.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer covered for about 50 minutes or until rice is tender. (Add more liquid if desired.)
- If using spinach, stir in during the last few minutes. Salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 7g | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 97.8% | Vitamin C: 21.6% | Calcium: 9.7% | Iron: 19%