EASY, delicious 6-ingredient Asian Mushroom Rice! Made with savory flavors of garlic, onion, and tamari. Turn it into a main dish with some simple additions!
Mushroom Rice! We love this easy, 6 ingredient Asian-style dish. So simple but satisfying. I created it to be a side dish. However it could easily be morphed into a main dish! Include extra veggies like asparagus, snap peas, or mung bean sprouts. Or add a protein boost with edamame, tempeh, or tofu. (Like our favorite Asian Garlic Tofu.) Plus it’s also great made with quinoa instead of rice. See the notes below the recipe for additional info and tips. Hope you also enjoy!
I also wanted to quickly mention this book I enjoyed. It dives into the wonderful world of mushrooms. Plus it’s fun, informative, and easy to understand. Author Tero breaks down ten different mushrooms. He explains how their incredible benefits can be a powerful tool in promoting whole body health. (Also with many fun facts and vegan recipes included.) So it’s worth checking out if the topic interests you!
Asian Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Optional: asparagus, mung bean sprouts, spinach (stir in during last few minutes of cooking), other veggies, sesame seeds for topping
- Cook rice according to package instructions* (use veggie broth for more flavor if desired).
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion. Slice mushrooms, not too thin, about 1/3-1/4 inch.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use water/veggie broth to saute.)
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and slice green onions.
- When mushrooms are softened, add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cooked rice, green onions, and tamari.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. (Add spinach and/or mung bean sprouts during this step if using.)
- Season to taste with more tamari if desired before serving.