An easy, 6 ingredient vegan Asian-style Mushroom Rice made with savory flavors of garlic, onion, and tamari. You can also turn it into a main dish with simple additions like tofu, tempeh, or edamame.
This Asian-inspired mushroom rice recipe is easy and only 6 ingredients.
It is so simple to prepare but wonderfully satisfying.
Plus it is customizable based on what you have on hand, or your own favorite additions.
Ingredients for Mushroom Rice
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: Or your own favorite rice. I use organic brown basmati rice, but jasmine is great too.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but you could also try oyster, shiitake, portobello, white button, or a combination of mushrooms.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Green onion (scallion)
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
I also like to garnish my bowl with sesame seeds before serving.
Quinoa: It is also a great recipe made with quinoa instead of rice. (Plus the cooking time will be faster as well!)
Main dish: I created this to be a side dish, however it could easily be made into a main dish. Simply stir in extra vegetables like asparagus, sugar snap peas, mung bean sprouts, etc.
Plant protein: Add a protein boost with edamame, tempeh, vegan chicken, or tofu. (Such as our favorite Asian Style Garlic Tofu.)
For more inspiration, also browse all mushroom recipes.
Asian-Style Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Optional: asparagus, mung bean sprouts, spinach (stir in during last few minutes of cooking), other veggies, sesame seeds for topping
- Cook rice according to package instructions* (use veggie broth for more flavor if desired).
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion. Slice mushrooms, not too thin, about 1/3-1/4 inch.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and slice green onions.
- When mushrooms are softened, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cooked rice, green onions, and tamari.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. (Add spinach and/or mung bean sprouts during this step if using.)
- Season to taste with more tamari if desired before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Asian-style Mushroom Rice, also check out:
- Broccoli with Asian Style Garlic Sauce
- Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms with Garlic Sauce
- Teriyaki Broccoli and Carrots