A savory vegan Asian-style Mushroom Rice recipe. This easy dish is made with delicious flavors of garlic, onion, and tamari. You can also turn it into a main dish with simple additions like tofu, tempeh, or edamame! (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Asian-inspired mushroom rice recipe is easy to assemble and only 6 ingredients!
It's simple but wonderfully satisfying.
Plus it's customizable based on what you have on hand, or your own favorite additions. Try it with your own favorite mushroom blend!
Ingredients for Mushroom Rice
For this recipe you will combine in a large skillet:
- Brown rice: Or simply your own favorite rice. I use organic brown basmati rice, but brown jasmine rice or white rice is great too.
- Fresh mushrooms: We will use one pound mushrooms for this recipe. Most often I use cremini, but you could also try oyster, shiitake, portobello, white button, or a combination of mushrooms.
- Yellow onion: Or use white onion, sweet onion, or red onion if desired.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Use as much or as little as you prefer.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. Coconut aminos could also work.
Garnish it! I also like to top my bowl with a sprinkle of sesame seeds before serving.
Quinoa: This is also a great recipe made with quinoa instead of rice. (Plus the cooking time will be faster as well!)
Main dish: I created this to be a side dish, however it could easily be made into a main dish. Simply stir in extra vegetables like asparagus, sugar snap peas, mung bean sprouts, etc.
Plant protein: Add a protein boost with edamame, tempeh, vegan chicken, or tofu. (Such as our favorite Asian Style Garlic Tofu.)
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan mushroom recipes.
Asian-Style Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Optional: asparagus, mung bean sprouts, spinach (stir in during last few minutes of cooking), other veggies, sesame seeds for topping
- Cook rice according to package instructions* (use veggie broth for more flavor if desired).
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion. Slice mushrooms, not too thin, about 1/3-1/4 inch.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and slice green onions.
- When mushrooms are softened, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cooked rice, green onions, and tamari.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. (Add spinach and/or mung bean sprouts during this step if using.)
- Season to taste with more tamari if desired before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Asian-style Mushroom Rice recipe, also check out:
- Broccoli with Asian Style Garlic Sauce
- Mushroom Chili
- Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms with Garlic Sauce
- Teriyaki Broccoli and Carrots