An easy, delicious, 6 ingredient Asian-inspired Mushroom Rice made with savory flavors of garlic, onion, and tamari. You can also turn it into a main dish with simple additions like tofu, tempeh, or edamame.
We love this easy, 6 ingredient Asian-inspired Mushroom Rice. It is so simple to prepare but wonderfully satisfying.
I created it to be a side dish, however it could easily be made into a main dish by including extra vegetables like asparagus, sugar snap peas, mung bean sprouts, etc.
Or you can simply add a protein boost with edamame, tempeh, or tofu. (Such as our favorite Asian Style Garlic Tofu.)
Ingredients for Mushroom Rice
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: Or your own favorite rice - I use brown basmati.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but you could also try oyster, shiitake, button, or a blend.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Tamari: Or soy sauce.
It is also a great recipe made with quinoa instead of rice. (See the notes below the recipe for additional info and tips.)
For more inspiration, also browse all mushroom recipes.
Asian-Style Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. mushrooms (cremini, button, shiitake, oyster, etc.)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Optional: asparagus, mung bean sprouts, spinach (stir in during last few minutes of cooking), other veggies, sesame seeds for topping
- Cook rice according to package instructions* (use veggie broth for more flavor if desired).
- Meanwhile, finely dice onion. Slice mushrooms, not too thin, about 1/3-1/4 inch.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use water/veggie broth to sauté.)
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and slice green onions.
- When mushrooms are softened, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cooked rice, green onions, and tamari.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through. (Add spinach and/or mung bean sprouts during this step if using.)
- Season to taste with more tamari if desired before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Mushroom Rice, also check out: