A baby bok choy recipe with tender shiitake mushrooms sautéed in a flavorful Asian-inspired garlic-ginger sauce. A simple, healthy side dish that is quick to prepare! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Easy and so tasty! This healthy side dish is filled with great texture and Asian-inspired flavors.
Fresh baby bok choy and tender shiitake mushrooms are lightly sautéed, then combined with a simple garlic-ginger sauce.
Plus it is also filled with many beneficial plant-based nutrients.
Ingredients for Garlic Bok Choy
For this recipe you will combine in a hot wok or pan:
- Baby bok choy: Or you can also substitute regular bok choy if preferred.
- Fresh shiitake mushrooms: Feel free to use your own favorite mushrooms or a combination in this dish. Cremini, white button, portobello, oyster, chanterelles, etc. would all be tasty.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- Tamari: Or you can substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned rice vinegar which does not contain added sugar and salt.
- Sesame seeds: Or you can also add red pepper flakes to taste if you like a little spice.
Sauce thickness: The sauce is thin, so add cornstarch, arrowroot, or other thickener of choice if desired. Simply whisk in about 1 teaspoon thickener to the sauce when preparing.
Adding oil: This recipe is designed to be oil free. However you can easily adapt it to add oil if desired! Simply stir-fry the veggies with toasted sesame oil (which would add even more flavor as well), vegetable oil, or olive oil, etc.
Vegetables: Toss in other veggies as you see fit. Try bell pepper, onion, water chestnuts, or mung bean sprouts. Or use other mushrooms like button, enoki, beech, oyster, portobello, etc.
This dish is also great served with:
- Easy Baked Tofu for a simple protein
- Teriyaki Noodles with Vegetables
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Fried rice
- Or simply your own favorite Asian-inspired meals!
Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce
- 3 baby bok choy (about 14-16 oz.)
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water)
For the Asian-style garlic sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (or less)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare baby bok choy: Cut bottom ends off. Rinse very well. Chop white parts into about 1-inch wide pieces. Chop leaves into about 1/2-inch wide pieces.
- Wipe shiitakes clean, and trim ends. If the shiitakes are small, I leave them whole. Otherwise, slice or halve them.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water). When hot, carefully add shiitakes. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes. (Add a splash more broth/water if needed to prevent sticking.)
- Add bok choy and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sauce to pan. Stir well to combine and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon any leftover pan juices over the top before serving. Garnish with additional sesame seeds or more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this garlic bok choy recipe, also check out: