Baby bok choy and tender shiitake mushrooms sautéed in a flavorful Asian-inspired garlic-ginger sauce. A simple and healthy side dish that is quick to prepare! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy, healthy side dish is filled with great texture and Asian-inspired flavors.
Fresh baby bok choy and tender shiitake mushrooms are lightly sautéed, then combined with a simple garlic-ginger sauce.
Plus it is also filled with many beneficial plant-based nutrients.
Ingredients for Garlic Bok Choy
For this recipe you will need:
- Baby bok choy
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh ginger
- Tamari: Or you can substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned which does not have added sugar.
- Sesame seeds
The sauce is thin, so add a cornstarch slurry or other thickener of choice if desired.
How to Serve
This dish is also great served with:
- Easy Baked Tofu
- Teriyaki Noodles with Vegetables
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Fried rice
- Or simply your own favorite Asian-inspired meals
For more inspiration, also browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce
- 3 baby bok choy (about 14-16 oz.)
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water)
For the garlic sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (or less)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Make the sauce: in a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare baby bok choy: cut bottom ends off. Rinse very well. Chop white parts into about 1-inch wide pieces. Chop leaves into about 1/2-inch wide pieces.
- Wipe shiitakes clean, and trim ends. (If the shiitakes are small, I leave them whole. Otherwise, slice or halve if desired.)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water). When hot, carefully add shiitakes. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes. (Add a splash more broth/water if needed to prevent sticking.)
- Add bok choy and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic sauce to pan. Stir well to combine and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon any leftover pan juices over the top before serving. Garnish with additional sesame seeds or more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this garlic bok choy recipe, also check out: