I walked into our food co-op the other day to find myself swimming in a sea of giant watermelons. (Melon heaven!) Which of course means one thing: summer is officially here! My 5 year old daughter is obsessed with watermelon, I wanted a fresh new way to enjoy it instead of the usual chunks or shapes. She’s a big fan of tangy lemon/lime flavor and of course strawberries so it seemed like a perfect match. When I was a kid, slushies were my go-to choice on a hot summer day when we rode our bikes down to the ice cream shop… it always felt like the ultimate refreshment!
Quick note: in my experience, there’s a big difference in the quality/taste between organic non-GMO vs. conventional produce (in addition to the environmental & health benefits). If it’s available in your area, I highly recommend buying organic when possible. Especially for this drink when ripe, sweet, flavorful melons & berries can make all the difference!
Strawberry-Lime Watermelon Slush
- 2 cups seedless watermelon (frozen)
- 1 heaping cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 juicy lime)
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. coconut sugar or agave to sweeten, fresh mint or basil, ice cubes
- Cube watermelon and place in freezer for at least an hour or two.*
- When ready to make, rinse and hull the strawberries.
- Place frozen watermelon, strawberries, and fresh lime juice in blender.
- Blend until slushy and serve immediately.