Easy (6-ingredient!) Tomato Basil Pasta filled with flavors of bright lemon, garlic, and fresh basil. A beautiful dish for summer-ripe garden tomatoes.
This simple tomato basil pasta is a lovely summertime dish.
Plus it is quick and easy to prepare.
We find it is pretty versatile. You can serve it warm, cold, or at room temperature.
Ingredients for Tomato Basil Pasta
For this recipe you will need:
- Pasta: I use gluten-free penne, but choose your own favorite.
- Tomatoes: Be sure to find ripe, flavorful ones as it can make all the difference!
- Shallot: Lightly sauté the shallot and garlic to soften the sharpness if desired.
- Fresh basil: Or other herbs.
- Lemon juice: About 1 lemon.
- Olive oil: Optional - simply omit for an oil-free version.
This recipe is simple to adapt. Change it up with the flavors you enjoy:
- Use cherry or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor.
- Add capers or olives for a salty pop of flavor.
- Add vegan feta crumbles.
- Use other herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
For more inspiration, browse all pasta & noodle recipes.
Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta with Lemon & Garlic
- 12 oz. penne pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium shallot (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp. or more to taste)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: capers, pine nuts, etc.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy).
- While pasta is cooking, finely dice shallot, mince garlic, and dice tomatoes. Add to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop or chiffonade basil. Set aside.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain, and immediately add to bowl. Stir.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and capers if using. (Start with 1 lemon and add more to taste if necessary.)
- Toss well to combine, and salt to taste.
- Great served warm, cold, or room temperature. Best if eaten within 2-3 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this fresh Lemon Tomato Basil Pasta, also feel free to check out:
- Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus
- Spinach Tomato Quesadilla with Pesto
- Black Bean Lentil Salad
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
- Summer Chopped Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing
- Summer Vegetable Chili