Easy (6-ingredient!) Tomato Basil Pasta filled with flavors of bright lemon, garlic, & fresh basil. A beautiful dish for summer-ripe garden tomatoes.
This simple tomato basil pasta is a lovely summertime dish. Plus it's quick and easy to prepare.
We find it's pretty versatile - you can serve it warm, cold, or at room temperature.
Ingredients for Tomato Basil Pasta
For this recipe you will need:
- Pasta: I use gluten-free penne, but choose your own favorite.
- Tomatoes: be sure to find ripe, flavorful ones as it can make all the difference!
- Shallot: lightly sauté the shallot and garlic to soften the sharpness if desired.
- Fresh basil: you could also include other herbs such as parsley.
- Lemon juice: about 1 lemon.
- Olive oil: optional - simply omit for an oil-free version.
For more summer recipe inspiration, check out:
Fresh Tomato Basil Pasta with Lemon & Garlic
- 12 oz. penne pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium shallot (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp. or more to taste)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: capers, pine nuts, etc.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy).
- While pasta is cooking, finely dice shallot, mince garlic, and dice tomatoes. Add to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop or chiffonade basil. Set aside.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain, and immediately add to bowl. Stir.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and capers if using. (Start with 1 lemon and add more to taste if necessary.)
- Toss well to combine, and salt to taste.
- Great served warm, cold, or room temp. Best if eaten within 2-3 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this Tomato Basil Pasta, also feel free to check out:
- Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus
- Spinach Tomato Quesadilla with Pesto
- Black Bean Lentil Salad
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated - thank you!)