An easy (6-ingredient!) Tomato Pasta recipe filled with bright flavors of lemon, garlic, and fresh basil. A beautiful dish for summer-ripe garden tomatoes. (Vegan with oil-free and gluten-free options.)
This simple Lemon Tomato Pasta with Basil tastes like beautiful summertime!
Plus it's quick and easy to prepare.
While the pasta cooks, simply prepare your fresh vegetables, then toss it all together.
You can also serve this dish either warm, cold, or at room temperature.
Ingredients for Tomato Lemon Pasta
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Pasta: I use gluten-free penne pasta, but choose your own favorite or even zucchini noodles. Most often I use brown rice and quinoa pasta.
- Tomatoes: Be sure to find ripe, flavorful garden tomatoes because it can make all the difference!
- Fresh garlic cloves: Use either one or two minced cloves depending on how much you like the flavor.
- Shallot: You can also slightly sauté the shallot and garlic to soften the sharpness if desired.
- Fresh basil: Or substitute other herbs like fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, or fresh dill.
- Lemon juice: You will need about one lemon for this recipe. You could also grate a little lemon zest for extra flavor.
- Olive oil: A drizzle of a couple teaspoons of good quality extra-virgin olive oil is optional. Simply omit this for an oil-free version.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. You can also add black pepper to taste if desired.
Tomatoes: Instead of large garden tomatoes, try roma tomatoes or even cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for a richer, sweeter flavor. (You could even roast cherry tomatoes for a deeper flavor!)
Dairy-free cheese: Sprinkle vegan feta crumbles or parmesan cheese on top before serving.
Herbs: Try it with other herbs (or a mixture) like fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, chives, etc. Red pepper flakes or chili flakes can add a touch of heat if desired.
Greens: Add finely chopped kale, spinach, or arugula for a boost of greens and nutrients.
Other additions: Stir in capers or Kalamata olives for a salty pop of flavor. (I love this addition!) Or you can add a protein like white beans, pine nuts, or vegan chicken. You could even include a little pesto or pasta sauce for extra flavor.
This side dish is great served warm, cold, or at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it's best enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Fresh Tomato Pasta with Lemon & Basil
- 12 oz. penne pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium shallot (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp. or more to taste)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: capers, pine nuts, etc.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente (slightly firm, not mushy).
- While pasta is cooking, finely dice shallot, mince garlic, and dice tomatoes. Add to a large bowl.
- Roughly chop or chiffonade basil. Set aside.
- When pasta is done cooking, drain, and immediately add to bowl. Stir.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and capers if using. (Start with 1 lemon and add more to taste if necessary.)
- Toss well to combine, and salt to taste.
- Great served warm, cold, or room temperature. Best if eaten within 2-3 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this fresh Lemon Tomato Basil Pasta, also feel free to check out:
- Lemon Garlic Orzo with Asparagus
- Black Bean Lentil Salad
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
- Summer Chopped Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing
- Summer Vegetable Chili