Let’s bring it back to basics with beans and rice! Except this simple yet satisfying dish gets a flavor-packed makeover. We’ll combine black beans and brown rice with a medley of colorful veggies… all simmered in a creamy, cheesy, tomato sauce spiked with my favorite homemade taco seasoning blend. It reminds me of a “fully-loaded” version of Spanish Rice!
The “cheesy” flavor comes from nutritional yeast. But you could certainly add more or bump up the cheesiness with your favorite dairy-free shreds. (I love Follow Your Heart brand.) Plus there are lots of creative ways to re-purpose the leftovers. Use it as a burrito filling, chip dip, taco salad, layer it in a baked enchilada casserole, etc. This dish is also a great make-ahead meal for the week! Simply warm & enjoy. And of course in my case, don’t forget the avocado 😉
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
Cheesy Fiesta Beans & Rice
- 1 cup dry brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 small onion
- 1 orange bell pepper (or other color)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen, canned, or freshly cooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or roma, etc.)
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, hot sauce, dairy-free cheese shreds, tortilla strips
- Cook rice according to package instructions.*
- Meanwhile, make the taco seasoning and set aside.
- Finely dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper for 8-10 minutes. (For no-oil sauté method, I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water to sauté and add more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice tomatoes.
- When onion is translucent, add minced garlic and 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add tomato sauce, nutritional yeast, black beans (rinsed and drained), corn, and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer on med-low heat for a few minutes (or longer if the rice isn’t finished cooking yet).
- When rice is cooked, add to skillet and stir well. Heat for 5 minutes to let flavors combine. Salt to taste.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. For an extra-cheesy version, add your favorite dairy-free shreds.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)