Beans & Rice gets a flavor-packed makeover with a satisfying blend of fiesta flavors in a simple creamy tomato sauce! Reminds me of a "fully-loaded" version of Spanish Rice! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Let's bring it back to basics with beans and rice! Except this simple yet satisfying dish gets a flavor-packed makeover.
We combine black beans and brown rice with a medley of colorful vegetables… all simmered in a creamy, cheesy, tomato sauce spiked with my homemade taco seasoning blend. It reminds me of a "fully-loaded" version of Spanish Rice.
The cheesy flavor comes from nutritional yeast. But you could certainly add more, or increase the cheesiness with your favorite vegan shreds.
Plus there are lots of creative ways to re-purpose the leftovers. Use it as a burrito filling, chip dip, taco salad, layer it in a baked enchilada casserole, etc. This dish is also a great make-ahead meal for the week. Simply warm & enjoy!
Cheesy Fiesta Beans & Rice
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 small onion
- 1 orange bell pepper (or other color)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn (frozen, canned, or freshly cooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or roma, etc.)
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, hot sauce, dairy-free cheese shreds, tortilla strips
- Cook rice according to package instructions.*
- Meanwhile, make the taco seasoning and set aside.
- Finely dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion and bell pepper for 8-10 minutes. (For no-oil sauté method, I use 3 Tbsp. broth/water to sauté and add more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice tomatoes.
- When onion is translucent, add minced garlic and 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add tomato sauce, nutritional yeast, black beans (rinsed and drained), corn, and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer on med-low heat for a few minutes (or longer if the rice isn't finished cooking yet).
- When rice is cooked, add to skillet and stir well. Heat for 5 minutes to let flavors combine. Salt to taste.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. For an extra-cheesy version, add your favorite dairy-free shreds.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this fiesta beans and rice? Also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)