This easy lightened-up vegan Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry makes a satisfying 30 minute weeknight meal! A healthy oil-free stir-fry with fresh flavors of garlic and ginger.
This Cashew Broccoli Stir Fry is so quick and easy! Just 7 simple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes is all you need to prepare it.
The idea was to recreate a lightened-up, whole food, plant-based version of chicken and broccoli stir fry. Using tender, crunchy cashews in place of chicken brings such wonderful texture and flavor.
Ingredients for Cashew Stir Fry
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Ginger: I find fresh garlic and ginger will provide the best flavor for this recipe.
- Fresh broccoli
- Roasted cashews: I do not recommend raw cashews for this recipe. (I use organic dry roasted and salted.) I have tested it with raw and for my preference, it is not nearly the same. Roasted adds another beautiful layer of flavor that I highly recommend.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- Sesame seeds: Toasted if desired. (These are for sprinkling on before serving.)
The recipe is heavy on the cashews, but you could easily reduce them and use other vegetables instead. Try it with mushrooms, zucchini, snow peas, sugar snap peas, bok choy, carrots, bell pepper, tofu, green onions, etc.
Quinoa is a great pairing with this cashew stir fry because it finishes cooking at about the same time as the stir fry.
Brown rice is also a lovely pairing. But it typically takes a bit longer to cook. So feel free to cook it in advance or start it a bit earlier than the stir fry.
Rice noodles (or ramen noodles, or your own favorite noodles) are another possibility for pairing, although I have not tried this option yet!
If you have a favorite stir fry sauce, then by all means adapt the recipe to include it! There are similar flavors in this easy Asian-style Teriyaki Sauce if you would like to give that a try as well.
Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli (10 oz. florets, about 4 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (about a 1 inch piece)
- 1 cup roasted cashews*
- 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for topping
For Serving (Optional):
- Brown rice, quinoa, noodles, etc.
- Begin cooking your rice or quinoa if using. (Or do this ahead of time so it’s ready to go.)
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 8-10 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), cover, and let broccoli steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Important: keep an eye on it and add more water/broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.)
- Add cashews and tamari. (Start with 2 Tbsp. tamari and add more as desired.)
- Stir well and heat another 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is desired tenderness.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds over a warm bed of rice or quinoa.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan broccoli cashew stir fry, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always very appreciated - thank you!)