Easy, healthy Vegan Chickpea Salad with fresh vegetables and a light lemon basil dressing. Only 25 minutes to make, and great for make-ahead lunches, picnics, potlucks, etc.
This vegan Chickpea Salad is so light and fresh, yet satisfying. It combines a variety of colorful, crunchy vegetables with hearty chickpeas. Then it is tossed in a tangy lemon basil dressing.
Feel free to change it up with your own favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. You can also add fresh herbs. Parsley, basil, cilantro (or a combination) would be lovely.
Ingredients for Lemon Chickpea Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Bell pepper
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Red onion (or green onion for milder flavor)
- White wine vinegar
- Dried basil
Serve it as a side dish or main dish. It is a great meal to make ahead for picnics, potlucks, meal prep, or take-along lunches.
The flavors actually enhance and taste even better after they've had a chance to chill in the refrigerator and marinate.
Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
- 30 oz. canned chickpeas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 1 bell pepper (I use yellow)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced (or green onion for milder flavor)
For the lemon basil dressing:
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 2-3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or fresh herbs)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Make dressing: mince garlic. In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. (Use 2-3 Tbsp. vinegar depending on how tangy you prefer.) Set aside.
- Finely dice bell pepper, carrot, tomato, and cucumber. Place in a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain chickpea and place in bowl with veggies. Pour dressing over top, and mix well to combine.
- Can serve immediately, but tastes best after it chills and marinates in the fridge for at least an hour. (Just give it another stir before serving as the dressing will settle.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Lemon Basil Chickpea Vegetable Salad, also check out: