Fresh and healthy kale salad! Made with sweet sun-dried tomatoes, tender roasted chickpeas, and then tossed in an easy lemony-garlic dressing!
This kale salad is made with flavorful sun-dried tomatoes, seasoned roasted chickpeas, and lemony-garlic dressing.
It is so simple, yet filled with lots of tasty, savory flavor.
Plus it is great anytime of year, but especially during the holidays because it has such fun, festive colors.
Ingredients for Kale Chickpea Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Fresh kale: I use curly kale for this recipe but lacinato will work too.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I use ones that are packed without oil, but oil-packed will work too.
- Lemon juice
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Ground cumin
- Smoke paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
It also makes a healthy, fresh alternative to the heavier comfort dishes that often surround the holiday season. For more holiday sides, also check out:
- Mushroom Gravy
- Almond-Garlic Green Beans
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Maple-Vanilla Candied Nuts
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
- Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash
Kale Chickpea Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 bunch curly kale (or lacinato)
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry or oil-packed)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Optional toppings: sunflower seeds, avocado
For the roasted chickpeas:
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less as desired)
- Roast the chickpeas: preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Rinse and drain chickpeas. Pat dry on a towel. On a rimmed baking sheet add chickpeas, spices, and salt. Toss to coat. Roast for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While chickpeas are roasting, cut/tear kale into bite-sized pieces, stems removed. Add to a large bowl, and massage for a minute to tenderize.
- Make the dressing: finely mince garlic. Place in a small bowl with lemon juice and tamari. Pour over top of kale and toss well to thoroughly coat.
- Dice sun-dried tomatoes and add to bowl.
- Top with roasted chickpeas (and sunflower seeds, avocado, etc. if desired.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Kale Chickpea Salad, also browse all salad recipes for more inspiration.