An easy, nutrient-packed, vegan Lentil Spinach Burrito recipe! So simple to make, satisfying, and great for busy weeknights.
This easy, 8 ingredient lentil burrito is a great meal for busy weeknights.
It is filled with healthy plant-based protein and fiber, and uses mostly pantry staple ingredients.
Plus it is simple to make and so satisfying.
The ingredients and flavors are similar to my favorite Lentil Spinach Soup recipe. But in delicious burrito form!
Ingredients for Lentil Burritos
For this recipe you will need:
- Green lentils or brown lentils: These have an earthy taste and hold their shape well after cooking. (Red lentils will not work for this recipe.)
- Yellow onion: Or you can use sweet onion or white onion instead.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder if needed.
- Ground cumin: I also like to include smoked paprika with the cumin, but this is optional.
- Dried oregano
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted work great.
- Fresh baby spinach: You could also try this with baby kale or other greens instead.
- Tortillas: I try to find whole grain tortillas when possible. Be sure to use gluten-free if needed.
Dairy-free cheese: Top with your favorite vegan cheese shreds or vegan feta cheese crumbles.
Make it spicy: Add hot sauce to taste before serving, or include a dash of cayenne pepper to the lentil mixture.
Store the leftover lentil mixture in an airtight container in the fridge. We find it keeps well for about 3-4 days.
Tip: I also enjoy the leftovers as a quick snack (eaten like a salad) or a protein-packed chip dip!
Lentil Spinach Burritos
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked)
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach (or more)
- 4 large tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
- Cook lentils*: Pour about 4-5 cups water and lentils (rinsed + drained) in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well in a colander.
- While lentils are cooking, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cooked lentils and tomatoes with juice. Heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and let cook 1-2 minutes to slightly wilt. Salt to taste.
- Spoon the mixture onto tortillas, and top with more fresh spinach if desired. Roll up tightly, tucking in one or both ends.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Lentil Spinach Burritos recipe, also feel free to check out: