Quinoa Potato Soup with a nutrient-packed "super greens" combo of broccoli, kale, and spinach. Comforting and nourishing, plus simple to make! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This comforting Quinoa Potato Soup is so warmly satisfying on chilly days.
Plus it is filled with plant-based nutrients that are wonderfully nourishing.
Hearty quinoa and potato combine with a "super greens" combination of fresh kale, spinach, and broccoli. Delicious and healthy!
Ingredients for Quinoa Potato Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute garlic powder.
- Gold potato: I like the buttery taste and texture of Yukon gold potatoes, but use white potatoes, russet potatoes, or red potatoes if desired.
- Broccoli: Either fresh or frozen broccoli works.
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular or fire-roasted canned tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- White quinoa: Or you can substitute other grains like rice or barley.
- Fresh kale
- Baby spinach
- Dried basil
Soup is versatile so feel free to change it up with your own favorite additions.
Vegetables: Add celery, zucchini, yellow summer squash, green beans, mushrooms, peas, etc.
Herbs + seasonings: Use your own favorites such as dried oregano, Italian seasonings, parsley, etc. Or top your bowl with fresh herbs before serving.
Miso: Whisk in some white miso at the end of cooking time for a salty, umami taste.
Quinoa Potato Soup with Super Greens
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 large gold potato (about 1.5 cups diced)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white quinoa* (uncooked)
- 1/2 bunch kale (about 2 cups chopped)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (about 2 oz.)
- 1 tsp. dried basil (or other seasoning/herb)
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. Dice carrot and potato. Cut broccoli into small florets.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, carrot, and dried basil. Sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, potato, and broccoli. Increase heat, and bring to a light boil.
- Once boiling, add quinoa (rinsed well and drained). Reduce heat to a light simmer and cover. Cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop spinach. Chop/tear kale into bite-sized pieces, large stems removed.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in kale and spinach. Salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Quinoa Potato Soup with spinach, kale and broccoli, also feel free to check out:
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew