An easy sheet pan Roasted Green Peas recipe with mushrooms and tomato! This simple, healthy side dish is filled with beautiful colors and plant-based nutrients. Plus it's great with a wide variety of meals. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This beautiful dish is a unique way to enjoy a bag of frozen green peas. Plus it's incredibly easy to assemble!
We simply combine all of the sliced veggies with a bag of frozen peas on a sheet pan in a single layer. Then let the oven do the work.
It's a great side dish for a variety of meals.
This recipe is adapted from Sara Foster's "Fresh Every Day Cookbook". (Which is not a vegan cookbook, but includes a handful of plant-forward recipes that I can adapt.)
Ingredients for Roasted Green Peas
For this recipe you will toss together on a baking sheet then roast in the oven:
- Bag of frozen peas: I try to find organic peas when possible. Peas are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and many other nutrients.
- Mushrooms: Most often I use cremini, but white button will work great too.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I like these best because they have such a rich, sweet flavor. They're absolutely delicious when roasted!
- Red onion: I like red onion, but you can use yellow onion or sweet onion if desired. Garlic powder or garlic salt would also be a tasty addition.
- Olive oil: Or simply omit this and use parchment paper for non-stick, oil-free roasting.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh herbs: Sprinkle and stir in some fresh parsley after baking! This is optional, but adds great flavor.
Vegetables: Change up the veggies as you see fit. You could omit the mushrooms, tomato, or onion if you don't care for any of those.
Garnish + herbs: We enjoy adding fresh parsley before serving for added flavor and freshness, but you could use your own favorite herbs like dill or fresh basil. The fresh herbs really help accent and enhance the flavors.
Olive oil: I've transitioned to oil-free baking, so I simply lay down a piece of parchment paper or Silpat on the sheet pan. But feel free to use a drizzle of good quality olive oil for roasting if you prefer!
Store any leftovers in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 2-3 days. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Texture note: These peas come out of the oven deliciously soft and tender (not a crunchy roasted pea).
Roasted Green Peas with Mushroom and Tomato
- 16 oz. bag frozen peas
- 8 oz. mushrooms (or pre-sliced to save time)
- 8 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion (or 1/2 large)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (optional, omit for oil-free*)
- Salt/pepper to taste
Garnish for topping (optional):
- Fresh parsley (or other herbs of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Prepare vegetables: Rinse and drain frozen peas. Thinly slice red onion, and slice mushrooms. Halve tomatoes.
- Then place all veggies in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.* Season with salt/pepper if desired, and toss to coat.
- Spread veggies in an even layer on a baking pan. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish or toss with fresh chopped parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this roasted frozen peas with mushroom and tomato recipe, also check out: