Roasted green peas with tender mushrooms and bright tomato! This simple, healthy side dish is filled with beautiful color and plant-based nutrients. It is a lovely combination that also works with a variety of meals. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This beautiful and incredibly easy recipe is adapted from Sara Foster's "Fresh Every Day Cookbook". (Which is not a vegan cookbook, but includes a handful of plant-forward recipes that I can adapt.)
This dish is such a unique and interesting blend that's easy to bake.
It works great as a flavorful, fresh side dish for a variety of meals.
Ingredients for Roasted Green Peas
For this recipe you will toss together on a baking sheet then roast in the oven:
- Bag of frozen peas: I try to find organic peas when possible. Peas are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and many other nutrients.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but white button will work too.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: These provide a rich, sweet flavor. They are absolutely delicious when roasted!
- Red onion: I like red onion best, but you can use yellow onion or sweet onion if desired. Garlic powder or garlic salt would also be a tasty addition.
- Olive oil: Or simply omit this and use parchment paper for non-stick, oil-free roasting.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley: This is totally optional, but a great addition to stir in after baking.
I like this recipe because assembly is quick and easy!
Simply combine all of the sliced veggies with a bag of frozen peas on a sheet pan in a single layer. Then let the oven do the work.
We also enjoy tossing it with fresh parsley before serving for added flavor and freshness.
Roasted Green Peas with Mushroom and Tomato
- 16 oz. bag frozen peas
- 8 oz. mushrooms (or pre-sliced to save time)
- 8 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion (or 1/2 large)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (optional, omit for oil-free*)
- Salt/pepper to taste
Garnish for topping (optional):
- Fresh parsley (or other herbs of choice)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Prepare vegetables: Rinse and drain frozen peas. Thinly slice red onion, and slice mushrooms. Halve tomatoes.
- Then place all veggies in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.* Season with salt/pepper if desired, and toss to coat.
- Spread veggies in an even layer on a baking pan. Roast for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish or toss with fresh chopped parsley before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this roasted frozen peas with mushroom and tomato, also check out: