Tender "meaty" portobello mushrooms combined with fresh spinach, garlic, and tamari. Such an easy, satisfying side dish. Or pair it with brown rice or quinoa for a meal!
Portobello mushrooms are wonderful. They are so tender, "meaty", and nutrient-rich.
This recipe keeps it simple with minimal ingredients so the mushrooms can really shine.
It is an easy, satisfying side dish, but you can also pair it with cooked brown rice or quinoa for more of a main dish meal.
Or serve it with a protein like this easy Baked Tofu.
For this simple recipe, you will need:
- Large portobello mushrooms
- Fresh baby spinach
- Garlic cloves
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Toasted sesame oil: Or you can substitute olive oil but I enjoy the flavor of toasted sesame oil. For an oil-free option, simply omit this.
- Sesame seeds for serving: Optional, but recommended.
Mushrooms: Change it up with other mushrooms, or a combination. Shiitake mushrooms, white button mushrooms, cremini, etc.
Greens: You could also include fresh kale or other greens in addition to the spinach.
Veggies: Add other vegetables as desired. Baby bok choy, onions, green onions, snow peas, zucchini, cabbage, etc.
For more inspiration, browse all mushroom recipes.
Sautéed Portobello Mushrooms with Spinach
- 3 large portobellos
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (or olive oil)
- Optional: sesame seeds for serving
- Mince garlic. Remove stems of portobellos and wipe clean with a damp cloth. Cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 6 minutes or until just tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tamari. Stir.
- Add spinach (in smaller batches if necessary) and gently stir often until just wilted.
- Drizzle a touch more tamari to taste if desired, and top with sesame seeds (optional).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this simple portobello mushroom with spinach recipe, also feel free to check out:
- Roasted Peas with Mushrooms and Tomato
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Black Bean Mushroom Burger
- Mushroom Barley Soup
- Rustic Lentil & Potato Soup