Easy Lentil Vegetable Soup that’s cozy, warming, and nutrient-packed! Only 10 ingredients and super customizable. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This simple Lentil Vegetable Soup is packed with plant-based nutrients and hearty lentils. Plus it’s super customizable – follow the recipe below or swap in your own favorite veggies. It’s safe to say we make at least one big batch of soup or chili every week, and this recipe is a family favorite. (My daughter even loves sprinkling garbanzo beans in her bowl.)
This recipe is a bit similar to my beloved Lentil Spinach Soup but with a wider variety of vegetables and a different flavor profile (basil instead of cumin & smoked paprika). Plus you can also try it with fire-roasted tomatoes for a nice, smoky addition! Hope you enjoy as much as we do. Stay warm & cozy!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 oz. mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 cup brown/green lentils (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or other herbs of choice)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add onion. Saute for about 8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil saute method. Simply add a touch more liquid if the pan dries out & the onion starts to stick.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic. Dice zucchini and carrot. Slice mushrooms.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, and dried basil. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice and vegetable broth*.
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Rinse and drain lentils. Add lentils to pot and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover, and lightly simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. (Add more broth or water if desired.)
- Roughly chop spinach and stir in during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt to taste. (Serve with fresh chopped parsley, basil, or cilantro if desired.)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Lentil Vegetable Soup? Also feel free to check out this Portobello Mushroom & Potato Stew with Lentils (or simply browse the full “Vegan Soup” recipe archives on the site for more cozy plant based inspiration!)