Historically, turmeric has been a staple in Indian cuisine and for centuries. It’s widely used in Ayurvedic medicine for a huge variety of conditions. Studies show it supports digestion, enhances immune function and liver function, contains antioxidants, and reduces inflammation. (I absolutely love it in my 20-Minute Healing Turmeric Noodle Soup as well!)
Sidenote: if you’re interested in learning about Ayurvedic medicine/lifestyle, I enjoy the teachings in these two beautiful books:
Traditional Ayurvedic medicine incorporates meat & dairy in the diet, but I adapt the methods and recipes to stay aligned with my plant-based lifestyle.
Now back to the turmeric milk… this color makes me smile! 💛
Bedtime Golden Turmeric Milk
- 2 cups soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric (more as desired)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I use Ceylon cinnamon)
- 2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (more to taste)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (or freshly grated), cardamom
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Heat for about 5-6 minutes until milk is hot, whisking occasionally.
- Take care not to boil (only warm & lightly simmer until the spices are dissolved).
- Carefully pour into a mug and enjoy! Breathe deep, sip slow, be well.