A tangy lentil salad with capers and balsamic-Dijon dressing! So nourishing and simple to make. Plus great for take-along lunches and meal prep. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This recipe is one of our favorite lentil dishes. It looks modest, but the flavors are delightful. Plus the capers add a nice, salty, briny pop.
We like to keep a batch in the fridge throughout the week for quick snacks or meals. It's high in protein, fiber, and many other plant-based nutrients.
Plus it is a great choice for take-along lunches and meal prep because it stores so well in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for Lentil Balsamic Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Green lentils or brown lentils: Green/brown lentils have a nice earthy taste and hold their shape well. Red lentils will not work for this recipe.
- Roma tomatoes: Or substitute grape or cherry tomatoes for a richer, sweeter tomato flavor.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh chives: Or shallot or green onion.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic cloves
Change this up how you see fit. Try fresh kale or arugula in place of spinach.
I suspect olives or vegan feta crumbles would be a great addition as well!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
So it's a great choice for meal prep, take-along lunches, picnics, potlucks, etc.
For more inspiration, browse all lentil recipes.
Lentil Salad with Capers and Balsamic-Dijon Dressing
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (uncooked*)
- 3 roma tomatoes (or grape/cherry tomatoes)
- 2 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chives (or shallot or green onion)
- 2 Tbsp. capers
For the balsamic-dijon dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cook lentils: Add 4 cups water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Then add lentils (rinsed and drained) and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until firm-tender (not mushy).
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Roughly chop spinach and chives. Dice tomatoes. Place in a large bowl.
- When lentils are done cooking, drain, and immediately add to the large bowl. (The heat from the lentils will slightly wilt the spinach.)
- Add the dressing and capers. Stir to combine. Adjust flavors if desired or salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Lentil Capers Balsamic Salad, also check out: