Healthy, satisfying Black Bean Lentil Tacos packed with fiber, protein, and delicious Mexican flavors! Easy to make then load them up with your favorite toppings! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
If you read my last post, you saw we’re building a house and that we close in a couple weeks – eeee!!! You may also have noticed the blog has taken a back seat while we’re in transition. We’ve been so busy that even grocery shopping has been cut back, leaving me to get real creative with what I can scrounge around for in the pantry and fridge. And that’s exactly how these tacos and I came to meet. A taco craving that needed to be satisfied, and a lacking pantry to do it with.
I’m so glad that challenge was presented because we love these! The filling is packed with flavor, protein, and fiber. Plus you can change up the spices however you prefer. (I love the addition of spicy-smoky chipotle powder.) Better yet, the leftovers can morph into a taco bowl for my husband’s work lunch. Simply mix together the filling, toppings, and small pieces of corn tortilla for an easy, no-hassle lunch to reheat. Update: we’ve also used this mixture on nachos… delicious!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Black Bean Lentil Tacos
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (about 3 cups cooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth (more if needed)
- Tortillas (I used corn)
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice
- Tomato, lettuce, corn, dairy-free cheese, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, etc.
- Cook lentils according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cooked lentils (drained) and black beans (rinsed and drained). Mash mixture and stir to combine.
- Add salsa and vegetable broth. Stir and heat for about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth as necessary to keep it a creamy, moist consistency. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Spoon mixture into a tortilla with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying these Black Bean Lentil Tacos? Feel free to browse the full “Mexican-Inspired” recipe archives on the site for more plant-based inspiration!