I’m so glad that challenge was presented because we ended up loving these! The filling is packed with flavor, protein, and fiber. Plus you can change up the spices however you prefer. (I love the addition of smoky chipotle powder.) Better yet, the leftovers can morph into a taco bowl for my husband’s work lunch. Simply mix together the filling, toppings, and small pieces of corn tortilla for an easy, no-hassle lunch to reheat. Update: we’ve also used this mixture on nachos… delicious!!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing what you guys cook up.
Black Bean Lentil Tacos
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (about 3 cups cooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth (more if needed)
- Tortillas (I used corn)
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice
- Tomato, lettuce, corn, dairy-free cheese, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, etc.
- Cook lentils according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cooked lentils (drained) and black beans (rinsed and drained). Mash mixture and stir to combine.
- Add salsa and vegetable broth. Stir and heat for about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth as necessary to keep it a creamy, moist consistency. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Spoon mixture into a tortilla with toppings of choice.