Beautiful, vibrant southwestern black bean salad with a fresh citrus burst dressing! Makes a great, healthy take-along lunch. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Hello, beautiful! This colorful black bean salad combines southwestern flavors with a bright, fresh burst of citrus. Tangy sweet orange and lime come together in a quick and easy dressing. Plus it’s versatile! It works as a side dish, chip dip, or fun & flavorful topper for tacos, burritos, etc. Such healthy, fresh flavors!
You can also mix the salad with rice or quinoa to make it an even more filling main dish. Plus it makes a fantastic take-along cold lunch! Simply make ahead and store in the fridge until you’re ready to go. (You can certainly eat this dish right after preparing, but the flavors beautifully intensify after it chills for a little while.) It’s also a lovely recipe to cater to your own taste. Simply add more or less of whatever flavors you prefer. Hope you enjoy!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Southwestern Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup corn
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 avocado
For the dressing
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 tsp. cumin (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. agave
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle for a kick!
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until agave/honey is incorporated. It should yield about 1/2 cup dressing. Set aside.
- Finely dice red onion. Dice bell pepper and tomatoes. Roughly chop cilantro, stems removed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the beans (rinsed and drained), tomato, corn (thawed if frozen), red onion, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Best if chilled 1 hour (can be longer) before serving.
- Stir well before serving, as some of the dressing gathers at the bottom.
- Top with diced avocado right before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Citrus Black Bean Salad? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more fresh plant based inspiration!