Hello, beautiful! This colorful salad combines southwestern flavors with a bright, fresh burst of citrus. Orange and lime come together in a quick and easy dressing. It works as a side dish, chip dip, and fun, flavorful topper for tacos, burritos, etc.
You can also mix it with rice or quinoa to make it an even more filling main dish. (It makes a fantastic take-along cold lunch!) It’s a lovely recipe to cater to your taste, adding more or less of whatever you like. Hope you enjoy!
Southwestern Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup corn
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro (stems removed)
- 1 avocado
For the dressing
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 tsp. cumin (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. agave
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Optional: cayenne pepper or chipotle for a kick!
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until agave/honey is incorporated. It should yield about 1/2 cup dressing. Set aside.
- Finely dice red onion. Dice bell pepper and tomatoes. Roughly chop cilantro, stems removed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the beans (rinsed and drained), tomato, corn (thawed if frozen), red onion, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Best if chilled 1 hour (can be longer) before serving.
- Stir well before serving, as some of the dressing gathers at the bottom.
- Top with diced avocado right before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
12 must-try fresh, colorful salads!