Colorful southwest-style black bean salad with a flavorful orange-lime citrus dressing! Great make-ahead dish for packed lunches, picnics, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This colorful black bean salad combines southwestern-inspired flavors with a bright, fresh burst of citrus. Sweet orange juice and tangy lime juice come together in a quick and easy dressing.
Plus it’s quite versatile: try this dish as a side dish, chip dip, or even a fun & flavorful topper for tacos, burritos, etc.
You can also mix the salad with a small amount of rice or quinoa to make it an even more satisfying main dish. (Plus the rice/quinoa will beautifully soak up any leftover citrusy dressing.)
This salad also makes a fantastic take-along cold lunch. Simply make ahead of time and store in the fridge until you’re ready to go. (You can certainly eat this dish right after preparing, but the flavors beautifully intensify after it chills for a little while.)
Southwest Black Bean Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
- 6 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use canned or frozen)
- Optional: avocado for serving
For the citrus dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Finely dice bell pepper, red onion, and tomatoes. Roughly chop cilantro, large stems removed. Place in a large bowl.
- Add black beans (rinsed and drained) and sweet corn (thawed if frozen) to bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Best if chilled 1 hour (or longer) before serving.
- Stir well before serving, as some dressing will settle at the bottom. Top with diced avocado right before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Citrus Black Bean Salad? Feel free to also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)