This beautiful Rainbow Chopped Salad is both a color-burst and nutrient-burst! All tossed with a creamy avocado lemon-basil dressing.
We go crazy for the Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, so I wanted to create a similar salad with different flavors. Instead of cilantro-lime, I changed it up with some wonderful lemon basil. You can use whatever salad vegetables you like – it’s extremely versatile. I used this medley for a “rainbow effect” and maximum color pop!
We also love to add garbanzo beans for a protein punch and to make it even more substantial. The creamy avocado dressing makes an amazing veggie dip or dressing for other salads too. Feel free to make the dressing ahead of time and toss with the salad right before serving. (It gets even better as it sits in the fridge after the flavors combine!)
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)
Rainbow Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 large head romaine
- 1/2 small head red cabbage
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 english cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Optional: garbanzo beans, sweet corn, sprouts, fresh herbs, etc.
For the creamy avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. agave
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors if necessary. Place in fridge to let flavors mingle while you make the salad.
- Chop all salad vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Or keep dressing + salad stored separately to extend usability.)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this rainbow chopped salad? Feel free to also check out the full “Vegan Salad” recipe archives on the site for more fresh plant based inspiration! (Or this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Tomato-Balsamic Vinaigrette.)