We go crazy for the Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, so I wanted to create a similar salad with different flavors. Instead of cilantro-lime, I changed it up with some wonderful lemon-basil. You can use whatever salad vegetables you like – it’s extremely versatile. I used these for a “rainbow effect” and maximum color pop!
We also love to add beans for a protein punch. The dressing makes an amazing veggie dip or dressing for other salads too. Feel free to make the dressing ahead of time and toss with the salad right before serving. (It gets even better as it sits in the fridge after the flavors combine!)
Rainbow Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 large head romaine
- 1/2 small head red cabbage
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 english cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Optional: garbanzo beans, sweet corn, sprouts, fresh herbs, etc.
For the creamy avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado
- Juice from 1 lemon (more to taste)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. agave
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (omit for oil-free)
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors if necessary. Place in fridge to let flavors mingle while you make the salad.
- Chop all salad vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Or keep dressing + salad stored separately to extend usability.)