Plus it’s only 9 ingredients and 30 minutes to make! Feel free to change around the spices – I’m a huge fan of cumin and smoked paprika so that’s what I use. (In addition to the turmeric and “cheesy” nutritional yeast which gives it the yellow color.) Eat it as is, or use it as burrito/taco filling, or on toast or bagels for a sandwich. So many great options! It also wonderful breakfast-for-dinner meal – especially with some Roasted Homestyle Breakfast Potatoes!
Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric (more as desired)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
- 1 cup baby spinach (or more)
- Salt to taste
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onion with a little salt for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth to saute for no-oil method.)
- Meanwhile, remove some of the excess liquid from tofu. Then crumble tofu and chop tomatoes.
- Add garlic to the pan, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add crumbled tofu and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Some may stick on the bottom but that’s normal.)
- While the tofu is cooking, put the cumin, paprika, and turmeric in a small bowl. Add 1-2 Tbsp. water and stir to combine.
- Add seasonings and nutritional yeast to the pan. Stir well.
- Add spinach, stir, and cook another 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Salt to taste if needed.