These simple fajitas make an easy, satisfying dinner, and great for busy weeknights. (You can even slice the veggies and make the taco seasoning ahead of time for an even quicker throw-together!) The recipe calls for two bell peppers but I used four different colors, taking half of each pepper for maximum rainbow effect. For a different variation, try adding some garlic or chipotle, then personalize with your own favorite toppings!
Giving these a try? Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram 🍓 and share your pics! I love seeing what you guys cook up!
Portobello Fajitas (30 Minute!)
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of choice
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
Taco seasoning (yields about 3 Tbsp.)*
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning if necessary (combine all ingredients in a bowl).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice.
- Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Ultimate List of 110+ Vegan Mexican Recipes
Disclosure: The Garden Grazer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only share things I absolutely LOVE and personally use! (There is no additional cost to you in clicking the affiliate link.)