These easy Portobello Fajitas are a flavorful, satisfying weeknight meal. Plus they’re only 30 minutes, and you can also personalize them with your own favorite toppings!
These easy Portobello Fajitas combine a few of my favorite things: mushrooms, Mexican food, and colorful plants. Portobello mushrooms have a nice, tender, “meaty” texture which works perfectly in these satisfying fajitas.
Plus for different flavor variations, you can add minced garlic or chipotle. Then simply personalize them with your own favorite toppings (such as avocado, guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, or restaurant-style blender salsa).
Making Portobello Fajitas
These fajitas are an easy, satisfying dinner. Simply sauté the mushrooms & vegetables with taco seasoning, and get your toppings ready in the meantime.
To prep this meal in advance you can even slice the veggies and make the taco seasoning ahead of time so it’s even easier to throw together come dinner time. (The recipe calls for two bell peppers but I used four different colors, taking half of each pepper for maximum rainbow effect.)
For more healthy 30-minute meals, also check out:
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce
- Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of Choice:
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Prepare mushrooms: remove stems, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning* by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated – thank you!)