These EASY Portobello Fajitas are a flavorful, satisfying weeknight meal. Plus they’re only 30 minutes, and you can also personalize them with your own favorite toppings!
We’ve been on the road a lot this summer (LOVE road trips!) and just got home from three incredible weeks in my favorite place on earth: Yellowstone! It’s like a magical wonderland where every day feels like a new, amazing adventure. The mountains, pine trees, and fresh air completely fill my soul and refresh my inner being. So after a much-needed break, I’m back in action combining a few of my very favorite things – mushrooms, Mexican food, and colorful plants!
How to Make Portobello Fajitas
These simple fajitas are such an easy, satisfying dinner (plus perfect for busy weeknights!) Simply saute the mushrooms & veggies with taco seasoning, and get your toppings ready in the meantime. Also, to prep this meal in advance you can even slice the veggies and make the taco seasoning ahead of time so it’s even easier to throw together come dinner time. (The recipe calls for two bell peppers but I used four different colors, taking half of each pepper for maximum rainbow effect.)
For different flavor variations, add garlic or chipotle, then personalize with your own favorite toppings (like avocado, fresh pico de gallo, or restaurant-style salsa!)
If you’re looking for more healthy, 30-minute meal inspiration, also check out:
Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Sauce
Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
Vegetable Lo Mein
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt these! (Or leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always very appreciated.)
Easy Portobello Fajitas (30 Minute!)
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
Toppings of choice
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast
Taco seasoning (yields about 3 Tbsp.)*
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Prepare mushrooms: remove stems, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom slices and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.