These easy vegan chickpea walnut taco crumbles are packed with healthy plant based protein, and also take just 5 minutes of prep time!
These vegan chickpea & walnut taco crumbles are an easy meat substitute that make a fantastic base for tacos, taco salad, burritos, nachos, Mexican-inspired salads, etc.
They're full of satisfying plant-based protein, and they also only take 5 minutes of preparation time. Plus they're much healthier than store-bought versions of vegan beef-style crumbles because they're made with simple, whole-food, plant-based ingredients and no oil.
Ingredients for Walnut Taco Crumbles
- Walnuts (I use raw, unsalted)
- Taco seasoning
- Nutritional yeast (optional, for "cheesy" flavor)
For more "30 Minutes or Less" inspiration, also check out:
- Portobello Fajitas
- Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry (Oil Free)
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
- Easy Peanut Noodles
Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup walnuts (I use raw, unsalted)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Optional: 2-3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast for cheesy version
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked paprika)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the taco seasoning: add all seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl or jar and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, walnuts, taco seasoning, and 1 Tbsp. water. (Plus nutritional yeast if using.)
- Pulse a few times until small/medium crumbles are formed. Don't over-process to super-fine crumbles, unless that's what you desire. (See notes below on how to achieve various textures.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out crumbles.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir, then return to oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes. (Or to desired crispiness.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated.)