Vegan walnut taco crumbles with chickpeas! Super simple and packed with healthy plant-based protein. (And just 5 minutes of prep time!)
Vegan chickpea & walnut taco crumbles! This easy meat substitute makes a fantastic (and super healthy) base for tacos, burritos, nachos, Mexican salads, etc. They’re full of satisfying plant-based protein, and they only take 5 minutes of prep! Plus they’re much healthier than store-bought versions of vegan beef-style crumbles. Just simple, whole-food, plant-based ingredients and no oil!
I resisted buying a food processor for so long. I’m a minimalist at heart and like to keep my kitchen gadgets to a minimum. But I finally bought one, and it’s been well worth the purchase and storage space. Be sure to also read the notes below the recipe for tips & variations before making. Hope you enjoy them as well!
If you’re looking for more “30 Minutes or Less” inspiration, also check out:
Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
Easy Asian Peanut Noodles
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! (Or also leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Chickpea-Walnut Taco Crumbles
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup walnuts (I use raw, unsalted)
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Optional: 2-3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast for cheesy version
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika (I like smoked paprika)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make the taco seasoning: add all seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl or jar and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, walnuts, taco seasoning, and 1 Tbsp. water. (Plus nutritional yeast if using.)
- Pulse a few times until small/medium crumbles are formed. Don't over-process to super-fine crumbles, unless that's what you desire. (See notes below on how to achieve various textures.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread out crumbles.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir, then return to oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes. (Or to desired crispiness.)
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
If you’re enjoying these Vegan Walnut Taco Crumbles, also check out the full “30 Minutes or Less” recipe archives on the site for more easy plant-based inspiration!