Baby bok choy and tender shiitake mushrooms sautéed in a flavorful Asian-inspired garlic-ginger sauce. A simple and healthy side dish! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy, healthy side dish is filled with great texture and Asian-inspired flavors. Fresh baby bok choy and tender shiitake mushrooms are lightly sautéed, then combined with a simple garlic-ginger sauce.
Plus it's packed with beneficial nutrients. Oftentimes I use the "World's Healthiest Foods" website (as well as their print book) to learn about the in-depth nutritional benefits of specific foods.
See their breakdown of nutrient-packed bok choy and shiitake mushrooms if interested.
Ingredients for Garlic Bok Choy
For this recipe you'll need:
- Baby bok choy
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh garlic and ginger
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
- Rice vinegar (I use unseasoned rice vinegar)
- Sesame seeds
How to Serve Your Bok Choy
This dish is great served with:
- Easy Baked Tofu
- Teriyaki Noodles with Vegetables
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Fried Rice
- Or simply your own favorite Asian-inspired meals
Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms in Garlic Sauce
- 3 baby bok choy (about 14-16 oz.)
- 6 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water)
For the garlic sauce:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (or less)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Make the sauce: in a small bowl combine all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare baby bok choy: cut bottom ends off. Rinse very well. Chop white parts into about 1-inch wide pieces. Chop leaves into about 1/2-inch wide pieces.
- Wipe shiitakes clean, and trim ends. (If the shiitakes are small, I leave them whole. Otherwise, slice or halve if desired.)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth (or water). When hot, carefully add shiitakes. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes. (Add a splash more broth/water if needed to prevent sticking.)
- Add bok choy and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add garlic sauce to pan. Stir well to combine and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon any leftover pan juices over the top before serving. Garnish with additional sesame seeds or more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this bok choy with shiitakes, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this! (Also please leave a review/star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated, thank you!)