Classic Potato Salad made vegan! This summertime staple is packed with a flavorful, creamy base and refreshing, crunchy veggies. It’s EASY, 25 minutes, and only 8 ingredients!
We’re crazy for this vegan potato salad! It’s super easy to make and only takes 25 minutes and 8 ingredients. Plus it’s a great meal to make ahead of time if you’re planning to bring it along to a picnic or party – the flavors only get better as it chills. I try to keep processed foods to a minimum (i.e. store-bought vegan mayo) but for this traditional-style potato salad I just had to have the “real” stuff. Combined with a couple mustards, it’s flavorful, creamy, & delicious!
Red fingerling potatoes are my favorite to use with this recipe – the size is perfect. Plus they have a firm texture that hold up really well during cooking. No worries if you can’t find them in your area. Regular red potatoes or Yukon golds work very well! Hope you enjoy as much as we do.
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make or adapt this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. red or yukon gold potatoes (I use organic red fingerling if available)
- 1/4 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- 1 large carrot
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I like Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart)
- 3 Tbsp. stoneground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. salt (for cooking potatoes if desired)
- Other additions: fresh herbs (parsley & dill are wonderful), chives, chopped pickles or pickle relish, capers, lemon juice, smoked paprika, bell pepper, etc.
- Rinse potatoes and cut into about 3/4-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in a medium-large saucepan and fill with water to 1 inch above potato line. Add 2 tsp. salt to water.
- Place over high heat on the stove, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until fork-tender (but not mushy!)
- While potatoes are cooking, prep veggies: dice red onion, slice celery, and shred/grate carrot. (I use my box grater.)
- Make dressing: in a small bowl, combine mayo, both mustards, and maple syrup. (Feel free to mix in some fresh herbs if you’d like!) Stir well to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained potatoes, veggies, and pour dressing over top. Toss well to coat.
- Salt/pepper to taste if needed. Can serve immediately, but best served after it has chilled covered in the fridge for a few hours!*
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Vegan Potato Salad? Also feel free to check out this Vegan Italian Pasta Salad for more summery goodness!