Asian-style take-out made easy (and healthy) right at home! This Mushroom Stir Fry is an amazing 30-minute weeknight dinner that’s both satisfying and customizable with your own favorite veggies. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
We love this Asian-style take-out dish made easy (and healthier!) right at home. It’s only 9 ingredients, packed with nutrients, and pleasantly filling & satisfying… especially served over a fluffy bed of rice or quinoa. I find Asian take-out dishes are often weighed down by tons of oil, so I opted for an oil-free stir-fry method for this recipe. Simply sub vegetable broth or water to saute. Light and healthy, yet every bit delicious!
Portobellos are a perfect meat substitute for those looking to swap in the plants. They’re tender and juicy with a deliciously rich texture. I love how stir-fries are totally customizable with your own favorite veggies or whatever’s in season. (Asparagus is amazing in this too!) We especially love broccoli because the savory garlic sauce finds its way into all the tiny crevices and it’s like eating a delicious broccoli flavor bomb (yum!)
Another favorite portobello recipe of ours? Super easy Portobello Fajitas (also done in 30 minutes or less – woo!) And if you have leftover hoisin sauce, it’s lovely in this Vegetable Lo Mein as well. Hope you enjoy!
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a pic if you make this! I love seeing your beautiful recreations. (Or leave a star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is very appreciated!)
Portobello Mushroom & Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 2 extra-large portobello mushrooms (about 12 oz.)
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- Optional: sesame seeds for topping
For the stir-fry sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (gluten-free if necessary*)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot (to thicken)
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. grated/minced ginger
- Make the stir-fry sauce: mince garlic and add all sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Wipe portobellos clean with a damp towel. Remove stem and slice into thin strips (about 1/3-inch thick).
- Slice onion and bell pepper.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat, saute portobellos, bell pepper, onion, and broccoli florets. (For oil-free saute, use about 3 Tbsp. broth/water in place of oil.)
- Saute for 7-8 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. Add a touch more water/broth as needed.
- Whisk the sauce again and add to skillet. Toss well to combine and saute for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or noodles and top with sesame seeds and more tamari if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate)
Enjoying this Mushroom Stir Fry? Feel free to also check out the full “Asian Inspired” recipes archives on the site for more plant based inspiration. (Or another couple of our favorites: Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry & Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry)