This classic Vegan Potato Salad recipe is a summertime favorite. Tender potatoes are tossed with a creamy dairy-free dressing, plus refreshing, crunchy veggies. It is easy to make, 25 minutes, and only 8 ingredients! (Gluten-free.)
This old-fashioned vegan potato salad is easy to make and it only takes 25 minutes.
Plus it is a great meal to make ahead of time if you are planning to bring a bowl to a picnic or party because the flavor and taste only gets better as it chills.
I try to keep processed foods to a minimum (like store-bought vegan mayo) but for this traditional-style potato salad I just had to have the "real" stuff.
Combined with a couple mustards, the dressing is rich, creamy, and so delicious!
Ingredients for Vegan Potato Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Red fingerling potatoes: These are my favorite potato variety for this recipe. The size is great, plus they have a firm texture that holds up well during cooking. But you can substitute regular red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes instead. These work well too. To cook the potatoes, we will simply boil or simmer them in a large pot until fork-tender, and then drain.
- Red onion: I enjoy the bolder flavor of red onion in this recipe, however you can substitute green onion or shallot for a milder flavor if desired.
- Celery stalks
- Vegan mayonnaise: Most often I use "Just" brand or "Vegenaise" for vegan mayo. But you can absolutely make your own healthier version from scratch. Homemade cashew mayo would be a great substitute.
- Stoneground mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Pure maple syrup: This works great as a natural sweetener, and helps to balance the flavors.
Add herbs! You can also add a couple tablespoons of fresh herbs if desired. Fresh dill is really great in this salad.
Change up this recipe as you see fit! Other additions could include:
- Diced red bell pepper (or other vegetables of choice)
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Celery seed
- Chopped pickles
- Dill pickle relish
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4 days.
Making ahead: The flavors in this salad intensify and blend after it chills for a while. So it's a great recipe to make up to a day in advance.
Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. red fingerling potatoes (or regular red or Yukon gold)
- 1/4 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- 1 large carrot
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional, for cooking potatoes)
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill
For the creamy dressing:
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I use Just or Vegenaise)
- 3 Tbsp. stoneground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Rinse potatoes and cut into about 3/4-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in a medium-large saucepan and fill with water until it's 1 inch above potato line. Add 1/2 tsp. salt to water if desired.
- Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until fork-tender (not mushy).
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare vegetables: finely dice onion, slice celery, and shred/grate carrot.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine mayo, both mustards, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained potatoes, vegetables, and fresh dill if using. Pour dressing over top. Toss well to coat.
- Salt/pepper to taste if needed. Can serve immediately, but best served after chilled covered in the fridge for several hours.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan classic potato salad recipe, also feel free to check out: