Classic Potato Salad made vegan! This summertime staple is packed with a flavorful, creamy base and refreshing, crunchy veggies. It's easy, 25 minutes, and only 8 ingredients!
We're crazy for this vegan potato salad! It's easy to make and only takes 25 minutes. Plus it's a great meal to make ahead of time if you're planning to bring it along to a picnic or party - the flavors only get better as it chills.
I try to keep processed foods to a minimum (like store-bought vegan mayo) but for this traditional-style potato salad I just had to have the "real" stuff. Combined with a couple mustards, it's so flavorful, creamy, & delicious!
Ingredients for Vegan Potato Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Red fingerling potatoes (or regular red or Yukon gold)
- Red onion
- Vegan mayo (I use Just or Vegenaise)
- Stoneground mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Maple syrup
Red fingerling potatoes are my favorite for this recipe. The size is perfect, plus they have a firm texture that holds up well during cooking.
No worries if you can't find them. Regular red potatoes or Yukon golds work well too.
Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. red fingerling potatoes (or regular red or Yukon gold)
- 1/4 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- 1 large carrot
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional, for cooking potatoes)
For the creamy dressing:
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I use Just or Vegenaise)
- 3 Tbsp. stoneground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Rinse potatoes and cut into about 3/4-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in a medium-large saucepan and fill with water until it's 1 inch above potato line. Add ½ tsp. salt to water if desired.
- Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until fork-tender (not mushy).
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare vegetables: finely dice onion, slice celery, and shred/grate carrot.
- Make dressing: in a small bowl, combine mayo, both mustards, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained potatoes and vegetables. Pour dressing over top. Toss well to coat.
- Salt/pepper to taste if needed. Can serve immediately, but best served after chilled covered in the fridge for several hours.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this potato salad, also feel free to check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is greatly appreciated - thank you!)