This classic Vegan Potato Salad recipe is a summertime favorite. Tender potatoes are tossed with a creamy dairy-free dressing, plus refreshing, crunchy veggies. It is easy to make, 25 minutes, and only 8 ingredients! (Vegan + gluten-free.)
This old-fashioned vegan potato salad is easy to make and it only takes 25 minutes.
Plus it is a great meal to make ahead of time if you are planning to bring a bowl to a picnic or party because the flavor and taste only gets better as it chills.
I try to keep processed foods to a minimum (like store-bought vegan mayo) but for this traditional-style potato salad I just had to have the "real" stuff.
Combined with a couple mustards, the dressing is rich, creamy, and so delicious!
Ingredients for Potato Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Red fingerling potatoes: Or regular red potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
- Red onion: I enjoy the bolder flavor of red onion, however you can substitute green onion or shallot if desired.
- Vegan mayonnaise: I use Just brand or Vegenaise for vegan mayo.
- Stoneground mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Maple syrup
You can also add a couple tablespoons of fresh herbs if desired. (Dill is really great in this salad.)
Red fingerling potatoes are my favorite for this recipe. The size is perfect, plus they have a firm texture that holds up well during cooking.
But if you can't find them, regular red potatoes or Yukon golds work well too.
To cook the potatoes, you will simply boil/simmer them in a large pot until fork-tender, and then drain.
Other additions could include bell pepper (or other vegetables of choice), a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, chopped pickles, or dill pickle relish for a little sweetness.
Easy Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. red fingerling potatoes (or regular red or Yukon gold)
- 1/4 cup red onion (or 2-3 green onions)
- 1 large carrot
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional, for cooking potatoes)
- Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. fresh dill
For the creamy dressing:
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I use Just or Vegenaise)
- 3 Tbsp. stoneground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Rinse potatoes and cut into about 3/4-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in a medium-large saucepan and fill with water until it's 1 inch above potato line. Add ½ tsp. salt to water if desired.
- Place pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until fork-tender (not mushy).
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare vegetables: finely dice onion, slice celery, and shred/grate carrot.
- Make dressing: in a small bowl, combine mayo, both mustards, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained potatoes, vegetables, and fresh dill if using. Pour dressing over top. Toss well to coat.
- Salt/pepper to taste if needed. Can serve immediately, but best served after chilled covered in the fridge for several hours.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan classic potato salad, also feel free to check out: