Fluffy, golden cubes of baked tofu tossed in an easy, homemade Teriyaki sauce that’s sweet, savory, and so delicious! One of our very favorite tofu recipes! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This quick & easy homemade teriyaki sauce is the perfect way to jazz up the beautiful blank palette that is tofu. Simply toss some plain tofu cubes in the oven, and while they’re baking to perfection, you can whip up the flavorful teriyaki sauce so it’s ready and waiting to coat those golden cubes when they’re hot out of the oven.
I love serving them on a bed of warm brown rice or quinoa and simple steamed veggies on the side. (Broccoli is an amazing pairing or you could even try this Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry.) It’s a great recipe to make even for those who may not normally enjoy tofu because of the huge flavor punch from the sauce (and awesome texture of baked tofu). Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
PS – come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review & star rating below if you give it a try – your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Thank you!)
Teriyaki Baked Tofu
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
For the teriyaki sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp. ginger (freshly grated)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch (or arrowroot or other thickener)
For Serving (optional):
- Brown rice, quinoa, sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently squeeze some excess liquid from the tofu. (I place mine between a couple kitchen towels and lightly press down for about 15 seconds.)
- Cut tofu into about 3/4-inch cubes and place in single file on baking sheet.
- Bake tofu 25-30 minutes, flipping/stirring halfway through.
- While tofu is baking, place all teriyaki ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- When there’s about 5-10 minutes baking time remaining for the tofu, start warming the teriyaki sauce: whisk teriyaki sauce once more and add to a medium skillet over med-high heat. Stir occasionally with a spatula.
- When tofu is done baking, carefully add the baked cubes to skillet with teriyaki sauce.
- Stir frequently to thoroughly coat the tofu cubes until sauce thickens (about 5-6 minutes).
- Serve as is, or with rice, quinoa, in veggie bowls, with stir-fry, etc.