A vegan Chocolate Hemp Power Smoothie recipe with avocado and banana. Thick, creamy, delicious, and a great source of plant-based protein and nutrients!
This creamy Chocolate Hemp Avocado Smoothie recipe is so rich, nourishing, and delicious. The chocolate flavor makes it taste like a healthy treat!
Plus it is simple to make and easy to customize.
It leaves me with a nice boost of energy afterwards thanks to the abundant plant-based protein and nutrients.
Each small smoothie has about 14 grams protein (or more if you include protein powder)!
Ingredients for Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
For this recipe you will blend in a high-speed blender:
- Plant milk: Any dairy-free milk will work. Most often I use homemade cashew milk, but soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or coconut milk would be great.
- Ripe avocado: If you purchase hard, unripe avocados, store them at room temperature for up to 7 days. The skin color will darken as they ripen. If you have soft, ripe avocados that you aren't ready to use yet, you may store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. (This will help halt the ripening process.)
- Banana: Be sure to use a ripe banana (with lots of brown spots) because those are much more sweet and flavorful. You can use either fresh or frozen. Frozen banana works really well in smoothies to create a rich, creamy texture.
- Hemp hearts: These are the raw, unshelled hemp seed interiors. They have a mild, nutty flavor and are high in protein, minerals, and vitamin E. (See this helpful article from Bon Appetit for more information, including buying and storing tips.)
- Cacao powder: Or substitute unsweetened cocoa powder. Most often I use "Navitas" brand organic raw cacao powder. It contains antioxidants + flavanols, iron, fiber, magnesium, and other minerals. (Be aware that it does contain some caffeine.)
- Pure maple syrup: Or use another sweetener of choice such as agave nectar, pitted dates, etc.
- Ice cubes
Protein powder: Add a small scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder for extra nutrients if desired.
Nut butter: A dollop or tablespoon of almond butter, peanut butter, or sun butter is a great addition to the smoothie as well.
Flavors: A half teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/8 tsp. almond extract adds great flavor as well.
Other additions: Add fresh spinach, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, or anything else that sounds good!
Garnish: Enjoy this smoothie as is, or sprinkle with toppings such as hemp hearts, cacao nibs, vegan whipped cream, fresh raspberries, etc.
Smoothie bowl: You can also serve this as a smoothie bowl with all your favorite toppings. Garnish it with granola, fresh berries, sliced banana, coconut flakes, Goji berries, vegan chocolate chips, etc.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan smoothie recipes.
Chocolate Avocado Hemp Smoothie
- 3/4 cup plant milk
- 1 small avocado
- 1 ripe banana (frozen, if desired)
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 3 Tbsp. cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 3-5 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding more milk if desired.
- Taste and adjust if necessary. (More syrup for sweetness, more milk for thinner consistency, etc.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan chocolate avocado smoothie recipe with hemp, also feel free to check out:
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Smoothie
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Bedtime Golden Turmeric Milk
- Coconut Vanilla Matcha Smoothie