Mac 'n Cheese with Broccoli
Vegan Broccoli Mac 'n Cheese! Easy, creamy, cozy, comfort food with a nutritional boost from the broccoli!
- 12 oz. pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 large head broccoli (florets only, about 4-5 cups)
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cups plain soymilk (unsweetened)
- 2 cups vegan cheddar shreds (I like Follow Your Heart)
- 2-3 Tbsp. vegan butter (I use Miyoko's brand)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving al dente. Drain when finished.
Meanwhile, steam broccoli florets for 4-5 minutes.
Dice onion and mince garlic.
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Then add onion and garlic. Stir and saute about 5-6 minutes.
Reduce heat to med-low, add in flour. Whisk continuously for a couple minutes.
Add milk and dry mustard. Increase heat to medium and heat for 5 minutes or until it thickens.
Add cheese and salt. Whisk to melt and turn off heat.
Stir in cooked pasta and broccoli. Salt/pepper to taste and serve immediately.
For gluten-free: use your favorite GF pasta, and GF flour. (I use Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose Flour.)
Calories: 643kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Potassium: 413mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 614IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 3mg